PDA

View Full Version : Dynaudio in 2011

fte_mike
Jun 8th, 2010, 18:52
Hello all:

I have a 2011 XC60 T6 on order here in Canada; 17 June is my last date to make changes to my spec. I just got off the phone with my dealer who has advised that Dynaudio is not longer avail for my vehicle as Volvo no longer deals with Dynaudio as a supplier. Indeed, if I am to believe the 2011 spec sheet I received, Premium Sound is not offered in the XC60 here in Canada at all. Extremely disappointing as Dynaudio was/is a really important feature for me. My questions: Has anyone else heard of this yet? Does anyone know what components the Premium Sound system available in your countries consists of? Thanks in advance for any info or insight you might have.

Mike

Teejay1
Jun 8th, 2010, 19:46
Hello all:

I have a 2011 XC60 T6 on order here in Canada; 17 June is my last date to make changes to my spec. I just got off the phone with my dealer who has advised that Dynaudio is not longer avail for my vehicle as Volvo no longer deals with Dynaudio as a supplier. Indeed, if I am to believe the 2011 spec sheet I received, Premium Sound is not offered in the XC60 here in Canada at all. Extremely disappointing as Dynaudio was/is a really important feature for me. My questions: Has anyone else heard of this yet? Does anyone know what components the Premium Sound system available in your countries consists of? Thanks in advance for any info or insight you might have.

From what I've read for the UK spec the Dynaudio system is to be replaced with Premium Sound which uses Harmon Karmon speakers (spelling?).

Aidan Bell
Jun 10th, 2010, 23:59
I recently discovered, after ordering and paying for High Performance audio, that my dealer had made an error and High Performance is already included in the model I'm ordering anyway. As I therefore won't be charged for High Performance I wanted to upgrade to Premium but my order was already locked down so this was not possible. But that got me thinking. I am a working performer and deal with music both socially and professionally, and after giving myself the "Do you really need Dolby surround sound and 12 loudspeakers IN A CAR?!" talk I realise that High Performance audio, with its eight speakers and 4 x 40w amplifier, is more than sufficient.
But to answer fte mike's original question; here in the UK Premium Sound consists of the following. There is no mention of either Dynaudio or Harmon Kardon.

RDS radio
MP3 and WMA compatible CD player
USB and Aux input and USB port in front centre armrest
5 x 130 W digital class D amplifier
Dolby Pro Logic II Surround Sound with centre loudspeaker and digital sound processor
12 high-end Premium Sound loudspeakers
Steering wheel remote audio controls

Teejay1
Jun 11th, 2010, 08:21
This was from the official Volvo documentation:

"Dynaudio Premium Sound has been replaced with Premium Sound. The speakers
are now supplied by Harman, although there will be no co-branding. The following
emblem will be used on the speaker grille."

Aidan Bell
Jun 11th, 2010, 10:51
The kind of subtle differences noticeable through different makes of quality speakers is surely almost entirely negated by the sound of the engine and general external noises when driving.

gabrielddc
Aug 17th, 2010, 01:36
I have a Land Rover Discovery with Harman Kardon 13 speakers and it has a wonderful sound.
Note that the premium sound of BMW is Harman Kardon to.

I hope the owners of 2011 XC60 like the sound.:thumbs_up:

This was from the official Volvo documentation:

"Dynaudio Premium Sound has been replaced with Premium Sound. The speakers
are now supplied by Harman, although there will be no co-branding. The following
emblem will be used on the speaker grille."

fte_mike
Aug 17th, 2010, 07:06
I hope so too - we pick up our 2011 T6 in Göteborg in 10 days and I'm looking fwd to testing out the Premium sound system!

Mike

VolvoXc60
Aug 17th, 2010, 14:25
I heard from Volvo Norway that we have Bowers and Wilkins in our Premium Sound. Sounds great.

wimorrison
Aug 17th, 2010, 15:17
I guess that all this high power audio means that we will hear the 'music' 10 mins before the car arrives :)

fte_mike
Aug 17th, 2010, 15:37
I heard from Volvo Norway that we have Bowers and Wilkins in our Premium Sound. Sounds great.

Wow, that would be wonderful news. I haven't heard of B&W in Volvos, but the speakers have an excellent reputation. Now, I'm really curious - the last word from my Canadian dealer was Harman...

Thanks!

Mike

AppDawg
Aug 19th, 2010, 05:53
My wife has the premium sound in her '11 and is absolutely worth it. Not sure what the speakers are but love the sound. Sirrius HD radio is awesome as well since it's free for the first 6 months.

XC60KEV
Aug 19th, 2010, 13:13
Sirrius HD radio is awesome as well since it's free for the first 6 months.

Its just a shame we dont get Sirrius over here in the UK as it is supposed to be brilliant.

VolvoXc60
Aug 19th, 2010, 14:56
Its just a shame we dont get Sirrius over here in the UK as it is supposed to be brilliant.

Same here... had sirius on a rental in the us, just great!!