Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   A public thank you to Marmitespreader (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=179044)

jim annandale Apr 26th, 2013 18:39

A public thank you to Marmitespreader

For the link you posted on switching off DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) A hearty thank you, I have changed the offending N/S bulb, dead easy, took the air box out, loadsaroom.
DRL's now off.
Outnumbered Mike has also offered his public thanks for the link, he will also be driving round in the dark.
May I also wish Mike and his good wife a happy anniversary for today, enjoy you're night, don't get her her pregnant again, thanks for your help in the past also Mike, Jim :ani_heart:

Marmitespreader Apr 26th, 2013 20:48

Very nice of you Jim, thank you, any time. Just happy to help. Glad you got sorted.
Welcome to the driving round in the dark club.
Have a good weekend 👍

Happy Anniversary to you Mike & Good Lady Wife, have a nice evening 🍸
Cheers, Jim

jgjones095 Apr 26th, 2013 21:38

is there a buzzer when you open the doors and leave your lights on when u deactivate drl

Marmitespreader Apr 26th, 2013 21:47

No buzzer. Lights would go off with ignition off, unless you are referring to marker lights, which have no connection with whether drls are active or not.

AlanR Apr 27th, 2013 00:21

Interested in the link that was so gratefully received - if it was that useful could someone repost it so more of us may see it. Sounds like good advice to me.

ASt85 Apr 27th, 2013 04:56

Is this the post your looking for?http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1305479

post 3 gives instructions

jim annandale Apr 27th, 2013 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanR (Post 1404590)
Interested in the link that was so gratefully received - if it was that useful could someone repost it so more of us may see it. Sounds like good advice to me.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?167104
This is the post in question, it is the instructions in vida to switch off DRL's (daytime running lights)

AlanR Apr 27th, 2013 11:22

Wow that was interesting!

When you think about it we were used to buying cars that DID whatever they did because that was the way they were designed and built. If you wanted something different to happen your only option was to redesign and modify the basic hardware of the vehicle.

But now our vehicles are coming closer to our home computers where tweaks galore can make fundamental changes to the way it operates without touching any of the basic hardware.

Sorry if I sound a little :confused: but the culture shock of recently upgrading my '89 740 still at times takes a bit of getting used to. I like it - don't get me wrong - and I've nothing against computers which I also get along well with - its just the cars vs computers divide that's getting a lot more fuzzy.!!

:confused-smiley-017 now where did I put my V70 password?? :confused-smiley-017

Christerart Apr 29th, 2013 10:26

I remember when Sweden made it mandatory that cars had dipped headlights on 24/7.

The reason was - after several years study - that the cars that ran with the headlights on were involved in 50% less accidents.

To me - whatever the extra cost of replacing bulbs more often - I feel being seen better *might* just save me from an accident - and perhaps an increase in my insurance costs - not to mention damage to the car, hassle getting it fixed and more importantly - someone got hurt - a cyclist that did not see me coming for example.

I made this a rule for myself and my drivers - lights on 24/7 - when I had my trucking company in the US - and none of my trucks or myself were ever involved in any accidents involving other motorists or cyclists or pedestrians.

Sure, there were the "normal" stuff like drivers hitting a rail or scraping a door while backing a trailer into a tight spot - getting a windscreen blown out by an exploding tire on the truck in front - stuff like that - but otherwise a clean record.

I'm talking millions and millions of miles here.

No way I would disconnect the running lights.

S70 B5254T Apr 29th, 2013 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christerart (Post 1405952)
I remember when Sweden made it mandatory that cars had dipped headlights on 24/7.

The reason was - after several years study - that the cars that ran with the headlights on were involved in 50% less accidents.

I remember reading years ago, that it was made mandatory at the time when Sweden changed from driving on the left (UK-style) to driving on the right, and that having lights on would help remind motorists of the change i.e. prevent head-on collisions due to absentminded-ness.
Obviously road signs and markings could not be changed overnight.

It may be that you are actually correct, but I prefer my story!