Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 2.4D - Oil level going up ! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=84007)

Manic-me Nov 10th, 2009 22:55

XC60 2.4D - Oil level going up !

Had my XC60 for a month now. I checked the oil level on the electronic dipstick and is was over the top bar. I also checked the small traditional dipstick and that was also over max level.
Whe I collected the car I was shown the electronic dipstick by the dealer and it was on the 75% mark as you might expect - but now its reading 125% or higher.

I rang the dealer yesterday to get it booked in - I got the impression on the phone that I was not alone with this complaint. Car goes for a check in 2 days time.

Anyone else seen this ?

dj898 Nov 11th, 2009 00:31

hmm...
how do you check the oil level on the electronic dipstick?
I may as well check on missus' though it's T6 petrol.

wimorrison Nov 11th, 2009 08:18

I would also like to know how to do this check as I was told there was no way to check the oil level when I received my car :(

NewVolvo Nov 11th, 2009 08:39

No dipstick in my D5 (this have been discussed in a very long thread already...)

Manic-me Nov 11th, 2009 09:06

To check the electronic dipstick.
Insert the key, do NOT press the clutch, hit the start button, Engine management comes on, oil level in right hand display, use end button on left stalk to cycle through messages.
I was shown the normal dipstick by the dealer, If I get chance I shall attach a photo, facing the engine, look between the radiator and engine. Low down on the front side of the engine is a light grey plastic dipstick, slightly to the left of the mid point ( 2.4D DRIVEe even though the cover plate says D5 (apparently they only have one cover plate.....))

It has to be diesel or water getting in, there is no "frothing", oil looked nice and clear on the dipstick - so I'm guessing diesel.... there goes the MPG :stormy:

..MM

wimorrison Nov 11th, 2009 18:29

I tried this on my SE Lux D5 Auto and all I got was ' no messages' :(

What messages do you see, and how do you know the oil level as the book also seems to indicate that the oil level warning light is a go/no go warning rather than an analogue indicating how much is in the engine.

I also wonder if this is specific to the 2.4 DrivE ?

Over 40 Nov 11th, 2009 18:58

V 70 engine oil

Any one know which engine oil I should use in my 52 reg V 70 2.5 170 bhp? Car has 45000 miles on the clock and dealer serviced a while ago and states Castrol Magnatec 0-30 Edge. Oil level is between min and max when cold and on level ground. I am looking to top up until next oil change which is scheduled every 12000 miles. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Over 40.

NCS XC90 Nov 11th, 2009 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic-me (Post 585355)
Had my XC60 for a month now. I checked the oil level on the electronic dipstick and is was over the top bar. I also checked the small traditional dipstick and that was also over max level.
Whe I collected the car I was shown the electronic dipstick by the dealer and it was on the 75% mark as you might expect - but now its reading 125% or higher.

I rang the dealer yesterday to get it booked in - I got the impression on the phone that I was not alone with this complaint. Car goes for a check in 2 days time.

Anyone else seen this ?

I've heard of this on French diesel engine cars, not sure if its the same thing with Volvo but the oil level rises because diesel is getting back into the sump (if I remember correctly because of leakage around injectors). On the cars I have heard about the oil level gets so high that the car will not switch off and the engine revs itself to destruction. You may have passed a car on a hard shoulder doing this - I know I have, a very strange sight, lots of noise and smoke. Worth getting it checked out but I guess you already know that.
Neil

Manic-me Nov 11th, 2009 20:16

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the dipstick location. (attached)

Manic-me Nov 11th, 2009 20:18

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the message on the Dash.

Now interstingly, I'm on a slope and it says the level is OK, still one position higher that when I collected the car. On teh flat it says (or said) service required.