Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   General: Folding key doesn't fold :-( (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=31951)

Wirralguy Feb 8th, 2007 10:47

Folding key doesn't fold :-(

Hi All.

Just picked up my 2003 S60 D5 SE with sports pack, 18" Nebula wheels and winter pack - Very nice, if a little harsh on bad roads! I might have to change down to 17" wheels if the arch-rubbing and ride get me down but love the car.

I was given 2 folding keyfobs but neither of them will stay folded. I have had a look and I can separate the key from the electronics but I can't see a way of taking it apart to try and fix the locking mechanism. Has anybody else had this and, if so, have you managed to fix it?

Not a big issue but still annoying as open it is a BIG key and, from what I read on here, expensive to get replaced.

Dave

PS: BTW - thanks to all contributors, this forum has been an invaluable source of info prior to buying.

The Purifier Feb 8th, 2007 17:56

I don't know about your key problem but with 17" wheels they still rub the arches when on full lock. I'd stick with the wheels you have your car must look great with wheels that size!

D5 Monkey Feb 8th, 2007 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wirralguy (Post 203255)
Hi All.

Just picked up my 2003 S60 D5 SE with sports pack, 18" Nebula wheels and winter pack - Very nice, if a little harsh on bad roads! I might have to change down to 17" wheels if the arch-rubbing and ride get me down but love the car.

I was given 2 folding keyfobs but neither of them will stay folded. I have had a look and I can separate the key from the electronics but I can't see a way of taking it apart to try and fix the locking mechanism. Has anybody else had this and, if so, have you managed to fix it?

Not a big issue but still annoying as open it is a BIG key and, from what I read on here, expensive to get replaced.

Dave

PS: BTW - thanks to all contributors, this forum has been an invaluable source of info prior to buying.

Not easy to repair, involves cracking the casing of the top part open, you will probably find that the metal lugs have snapped on the "blade" part, if these are still rattling around inside they can be super glued back on and the very fiddley spring re-fitted before glueing the previously forced casing back together. Or you can pay £120 for a new key!

Both of mine were broken and I managed to fix one as above but it took me a whole night shift so I decided to leave the other one as it is!

Wirralguy Feb 12th, 2007 08:04

Thanks D5 Monkey.

I had a little play over the weekend, pouring alcohol cleaner and wd40 into it etc but with no luck. I agree that it seems to be a lug or a cam that's broken. Ah well, I'll just have to suffer the huge key in my pocket :angry2:

Dave

Razer Feb 12th, 2007 09:46

Could you get it fixed/replaced under warranty at all (i know its outside the three years, but if you've just picked it up then i presume you have a warranty - assuming its from a volvo dealer)

Just a thought

mjm295 Feb 13th, 2007 09:53

thought about using an elastic band around it?