Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Hi, and changing fuel filter on V50 2.0D (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=60588)

Hennie Oct 31st, 2008 16:34

Hi, and changing fuel filter on V50 2.0D

Hi Everybody - greetings from sunny South Africa.

This is my first post on this Forum, but I'm sure that there will be many more to follow...

I have a Volvo V50 2.0D which has recently turned over 100 000km, and of which the Volvo maintenance plan has now expired. I'm planning to do the lube-services (10 000km intervals) myself, and only take the car to the dealer for major tune-up services. Now for my questions (if you don't mind...)
I have been told that one needs a special tool to be able to replace the fuel filter (I suppose to bleed the filter, but I'm not sure of this). Is this true, and if so, what does the tool do, and can one make a plan to use something else instead?

How often should one change the fuel filter?

Are there any "tricks" to replacing the fuel filter - do's and dont's?

That's all for now - thanks for responding :)

Hennie

Hennie Nov 8th, 2008 13:37

8 days later, and not a single reply (not even a "welcome to the forum") ...

I take it then that nobody has changed a diesel fuel filter before.

dave4542 Nov 8th, 2008 14:08

Hi Hennie,

I can say hi and welcome to the forum...........but cannot help you with your question.........i am afraid i am one of those who HAVE to leave it to the trained.....lol

All the best

Dave.........another newbie

Clan Nov 8th, 2008 14:38

the filter should be changed every 36000 miles ... yes it needs a special hand pump to bleed the air after . If you get air in the pipes it will never start ...

gararrd Nov 8th, 2008 16:09

The pump you require is a volvo part only and I obtained one from the Volvo dealer part number 951 2898, at a cost of about £40. Still cheaper than Volvo dealer doing the job.
Garrard

Clan Nov 8th, 2008 18:34

Its a good idea to keep it in the boot you never know when you may need it .. OR permanantly leave it in circuit , even Citroen who use this engine have a hand bleeder pump attatched to the filter housing , might be an idea to see how much a citroen one is ...

Hennie Nov 8th, 2008 20:03

Quote:

I can say hi and welcome to the forum
Thanks, Dave :thumbs_up:

Quote:

The pump you require is a volvo part only and I obtained one from the Volvo dealer part number 951 2898
Unfortunately the Volvo dealership network here in South Africa is like the Mafia - I tried two different dealers AND Volvo South Africa, and they all refuse to sell me the part, or to even advise me on the procedure :realmad: they obviously want to keep a monopoly on this just to make money. I really cannot understand their mentality, with new car sales dropping due to the current world-wide economic crises one would think that Volvo would try to retain their customers, but with their current attitude I most certainly will not buy another Volvo, even though I'm very happy with the vehicle.

Quote:

yes it needs a special hand pump to bleed the air after . If you get air in the pipes it will never start
Would any suction device work? I have a hand-operated vacuum pump which I use to drain the oil through the dipstick opening (not sure what the correct technical term is here...) and I'm thinking of using this with some silicon tubing connected to the bleeding nipple. Would this work?

Apart from the bleeding, are there any other "tricks" to changing the filter, or is it just a matter of removing the housing screws and swapping the actual filter element?

Again, THANKS for all the responses :thumbs_up:

Hennie

Clan Nov 8th, 2008 20:39

you need a suction pmp which also pressurises the line ahead as even a bubble in the pipe to the main fuel pump will cause a problem it needs to be pumped through the filter and on through the main pump .. The filter housing top will unscrew it is a 27 mm hexagon ... after removing the crash protection bracket around the top of the filter

Hennie Nov 9th, 2008 03:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 422438)
you need a suction pmp which also pressurises the line ahead as even a bubble in the pipe to the main fuel pump will cause a problem it needs to be pumped through the filter and on through the main pump .. The filter housing top will unscrew it is a 27 mm hexagon ... after removing the crash protection bracket around the top of the filter

Thanks for that, Clan. Sooo, the suction only pump won't work... well, I suppose I will have to make another plan then... Any suggestions/ideas?

Hennie

Clan Nov 9th, 2008 07:44

Either buy the volvo tool or go to a Citroen dealer and buy the one that comes standard on their version of this engine ?