Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   CD player won't eject (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=126985)

v_forty Jun 13th, 2011 11:27

CD player won't eject

Morning,

For a while now the CD player won't eject the current CD in our V40, although it plays it and performs every other function correctly. Yesterday I finally got around to taking it out, cover and front off the unit, but everything seems to be ok. The button behind the front looks ok, and at a glance all the springs etc. in the load/eject mechanism look fine too.

I was also looking for a manual eject button (you get them on the front of most PC CD/DVD drives, where you can stick a pin in to eject the drive) but couldn't see anything.

The unit is the HU605 - has anyone experienced similar, or know of a fix? If not, I might look into a multi CD changer - how easy are these to retro fit?

Thanks, Ed

SpeedyReedy Jun 13th, 2011 19:30

Have you tried to eject the cd with the unit is switched off.
It worked for me when i couldn't eject a cd.

MTerry Jun 13th, 2011 20:44

It just likes that CD and doesn't want to give it back. The player in our V70 only has an electronic eject (for that matter so does the tape player in the 740.) Maybe a call to the Volvo Customer Service number might be helpful?

v_forty Jun 13th, 2011 22:39

I've tried to eject it with the unit off, and for what it was worth, even with the ignition off! But still no luck. Unfortunately, the CD we're stuck with for the moment is 'Pennies from Heaven' - not a personal choice. I might pop into/call our local Volvo dealership.

twinturbo Jun 13th, 2011 23:24

Don't bother with a multi-changer.. Buy a new unit that supports WAV/MP3 (idealy with a USB option) and then rip your music collection to MP3 on the computer.

I ripped all of mine the other week, took me bloomin ages ~300 CD's but It's all stored digitaly now so I can take all 300CD's to the car (well I will when I put in the USB head unit).

Best option also is to rip to a FLAC file that is an uncompressed file, and then convert them to MP3 to go portable.. Then you have a full hig quality backup of your music.

TT

Oilydad Jun 14th, 2011 10:13

Quote:

Unfortunately, the CD we're stuck with for the moment is 'Pennies from Heaven'
And you wonder why it's gone on strike? :D

That is REALLY sad!! That's nearly as bad as Richard Clayderman! :D :D

v_forty Jun 14th, 2011 12:46

I've looked into installing a 3.5mm input so I can run music off my phone (I think the cost was around £60 or so - unless anyone knows of a cheaper way?) - but my wifes music is all on CD, plus stuff for the children etc.

If we found a multi changer, how much wiring is already in place (if any!)?

Oilydad Jun 14th, 2011 12:54

Quote:

I've looked into installing a 3.5mm input so I can run music off my phone (I think the cost was around £60 or so - unless anyone knows of a cheaper way?) - but my wifes music is all on CD, plus stuff for the children etc.

If we found a multi changer, how much wiring is already in place (if any!)?
Seriously, most up to date units will have a 3.5mm input on them anyway for MP3 and other use, as well as wiring for a CD Autochanger. They will probably also be bluetooth compatible allowing you to use your mobile "hands free" in the car, and have USB and all sorts of other goodies. They are a whole new world to the outdated units in most older Volvos.

Personally I'd treat yourself to a new unit rather than throw good money after bad. In my own experience, once stereo units start to play up, it's time to bin them. You'll be forever spending money at the repair shop. The cost of repairs is crazy, and there are a lot of far more modern units brand new with all mod cons for what you'd spend on a repair.

I certainly wouldn't spend £60 to have a socket installed. I'd buy another stereo with one on there as standard.

I use this one in mine.....can't fault it. Sony is a relaible and good performer. It's great for both business and family use. You can spend a lot of money and get a lot less. This does exactly what it says on the tin. An awesome bit of kit.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CEsQ8wIwAQ

The reviews speak for themselves, but as an owner, I'll endorse them. You won't buy a better stereo. Some of the reviews mention that you can't see the clock...they obviously haven't set it up properly.....but have you ever driven a car without a clock on the dashboard? Is it such a big deal?

v_forty Jun 14th, 2011 15:36

Although I try to keep everything original, I think you're right with something like the replacement Sony - thanks for the link too.

The V40 has the standard Volvo sub. in the boot - is this easy to keep connected with (any?) replacement unit?

twinturbo Jun 14th, 2011 18:33

I put a Clarion CZ500 in my brother in laws Transporta a couple of weeks ago. Gr8 unit, £131 mind.... Plenty of good lower priced MP3 units.

TT