Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Horrible grinding sound from front (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=154412)

keithC70 May 31st, 2012 13:24

Horrible grinding sound from front

My XC90 has recently completed a return trip to Aberdeen and returned over 36mpg, without any hitch so I'm very pleased.

Whilst away, I noticed that when on full right lock and accelerating hard away from a junction you hear a horrible grinding noise which stops when you straighten up and ease off the acceleration.

When driving normally all appears ok, but I just had to accelerate hard in a straight line and heard the same sound.

I've been underneath and can't see any leaks, looseness, or feel any play anywhere (Needs a new drop link on nearside though) I recently fitted a new top engine mount and new torque mount to front of gearbox.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what it might be and how to fix?

GJB May 31st, 2012 13:56

May be a wheel bearing

grnfamily May 31st, 2012 15:35

yes it might be a wheel bearing

martin j May 31st, 2012 17:45

I had the same noise with my XC90 and it was rust on the inside outer edge of the brake disc had rust on it. Cleaned off the rust and no more noise.

fuzzypicture May 31st, 2012 18:32

Check your 4 wheel drive is working, we had a horrible screeching sound that came and went - it was the transfer box spline.

Joe

keithC70 Jun 11th, 2012 18:19

Well I've still not managed to solve this problem on my '53 108k XC90. Any more ideas anyone?

If I accelerate from standstill with my foot hard to the floor I hear and feel a loud vibrating/knocking/juddering sound which I thought might be a cv joint. It stops as soon as you ease off the throttle.

I've had a good look and brakes, backplates etc are free and clean, wheel bearings seem fine with no play and no sound or rumble when you turn them, and I can't find anything loose on either drive shaft or anywhere else.

The propshaft won't turn unless one of the front wheels is off the floor so I think my 4wd is working ok.

Also, sometimes when I start the engine and sometimes when I stop it, I hear one loud metallic knock (seems more noticeable in passenger footwell), so I suspected engine mounts.

I've already changed the top engine mount and the lower torque mount to the gearbox.

Front and back mounts both look fairly new but there's a rubber block on the passenger side between the frame and gearbox that looks worn and loose - anyone know if this should be tight?

The one on the driver's side seems tight but looking from underneath, the base of the mount sticks out over the edge of the frame - anyone know if this is right?

I've checked and there are no DTCs.

Otherwise it drives fine without any knocks or rattles. I don't normally hear this but from time to time when you need to get out into traffic quickly is when it happens.

Any ideas please - it's driving me mad?

NigeS Jun 11th, 2012 18:34

Check your wheel nuts ;)

GJB Jun 11th, 2012 23:50

Maybe drive sleeve on its way out has this ever been changed?

Anvil123 Jul 9th, 2012 18:13

I had an intermitent grinding sound coming from the front of my XC90 last week and today the transfer box failed. Will the transfer box from a 2004 2.9 petrol XC90 fit my 2004 D5.

keithC70 Aug 23rd, 2012 12:22

Drive sleeve changed and noise still there. Must be a bearing or cv joint although I can't feel any play anywhere.