Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Volvo V70 over 100,000 miles thicker oil needed??? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=165840)

omega888 Nov 1st, 2012 18:38

Volvo V70 over 100,000 miles thicker oil needed???

hi everyone,

My 1998 Volvo 2.4 auto has 135,000 on the clock
and is using more oil than I would like. It's currently usin 5w30 fully synthetic....my question is should I be using a thicker oil as its over 100k...? has anyone used 10w40 semi synthetic with this engine to good effect?

thanks all

dew1911 Nov 1st, 2012 18:58

If it's not using any then I wouldn't worry, keep to makers specs.

AndyPants Nov 1st, 2012 19:15

Assuming yours is the 2.4 petrol then 10w40 semi-synth is fine and probably the most commonly used for the engine :) Its also recommended in the manual if I remember correctly.

omega888 Nov 1st, 2012 19:37

thanks for that.....I think the manual called for 5w30 fully synthetic but I'm topping it up every time I check the dipstick (every 2 weeks) and that oil is very expensive. There is no blue smoke from the exhaust and no leaks on the driveway so I'm thinking it's just old age....from what I've read it's "acceptable" to use a quart of oil every 1000 miles!!! This is my 1st Volvo - every other car I've owned has used little or no oil during my ownership (including nearly new and old bangers!!!)

I'm filling the car to the max level on the dip stick, but when I check it (every 2 weeks) it's gone down to the middle - ie half way between max and min.

Thanks again........

Clan Nov 1st, 2012 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega888 (Post 1281860)
thanks for that.....I think the manual called for 5w30 fully synthetic but I'm topping it up every time I check the dipstick (every 2 weeks) and that oil is very expensive. There is no blue smoke from the exhaust and no leaks on the driveway so I'm thinking it's just old age....from what I've read it's "acceptable" to use a quart of oil every 1000 miles!!! This is my 1st Volvo - every other car I've owned has used little or no oil during my ownership (including nearly new and old bangers!!!)

I'm filling the car to the max level on the dip stick, but when I check it (every 2 weeks) it's gone down to the middle - ie half way between max and min.

Thanks again........

I would check the breather system , you wont find any measurable wear if you strip the engine down :thumbs_up:

DaveNP Nov 1st, 2012 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega888 (Post 1281860)

From experience with other vehicles try checking the level more often but DO NOT top it up every time, some vehicles seem to reach an oil level below the max but then don't lose any more, obviously if it goes down to low top it up but you may find it settles around half full.

I tried an oil thickener in a previous 850 (same engine as the V70) and now suspect that it caused it to get worse, that's not the same as using a 10/40 but go carefully.

m30rmf Nov 1st, 2012 21:38

^^^^^^^ What he said, had an old peugeot many years ago that I topped up weekly for months, let it drop to half and never topped it up again between services......

omega888 Nov 1st, 2012 22:11

thank you all for your help

StanC Nov 4th, 2012 00:45

For what it's worth, my understanding is that it's normal for this generation of Volvo engine to use some oil. My 3Ltr 24v 960 has 155,000 miles on the clock and it has consistently used around half a litre of oil (1 pint) every 1,500 miles since it was new. Because the oil consumption hasn't actually increased I'm still using the same 0w-40 fully-synthetic oil that I always have and (touch wood) all seems fine. Just because an engine has a few miles on it doesn't mean that it needs thicker oil - I would only consider using thicker oil if it started using significantly more oil than previously.

Stan.

omega888 Nov 4th, 2012 19:38

thanks for that Stan. I've bought some 10w 40 semi synth for the next change (instead of 5w30 fully)....see if it makes a difference. Forgot to mention, the car runs on LPG - don't know if that makes any difference. This is my 1st Volvo and I have to say I'm impressed so far. Very comfortable and smooth (auto box) The engine seems very popular (2.4 5 pot 10v) people say it can easily outlast the car. Shame Volvo-Ford don't build them like this anymore. Thanks again.:thumbs_up: