Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Infotainment Screen Failed (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273849)

Crumpet Oct 15th, 2017 18:02

Infotainment Screen Failed

Hello.

I have a 2014MY V40 SE Lux Nav, and yesterday the sensus infotainment system appears to have failed. The screen does not turn on, the steering wheel buttons for audio don’t light up and all the functions related to the screen don’t work.

This means no nav, radio, parking sensors, heated seats etc

Climate control works but with no visual information on the screen.

I have checked all the relevant fuses, as well as stripped the trim to check the connections on the head unit and screen and all seems fine, nothing is obviously loose or blackened.

I think I may have reached the end of investigations I can do myself but does anybody know anything else to try? Furthermore is there any analysis you can do via VIDA to identify the fault? Finally can anyone recommend a NE based garage experienced with this sort of problem so I don’t have to fund the Mill Volvo Christmas party?

Thanks in advance

Crumpet Oct 15th, 2017 19:25

So having done a little more research, it seems likely the problem lies in the MOST bus.

Does anyone know the order in which the MOST devices are connected on a V40?

GrahamBrown1 Oct 16th, 2017 18:55

have you no warranty left? any goodwill from Volvo? I think you might struggle with an independent garage been able to sort it

Acer Oct 16th, 2017 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumpet (Post 2327750)
So having done a little more research, it seems likely the problem lies in the MOST bus.

Does anyone know the order in which the MOST devices are connected on a V40?

How many miles have you done (in other words how much has the system been turned on)? If it has a FVSH then I would expect some good will here. Put your foot down at the dealers and say you expect a contribution from Volvo UK and please let us know the diagnosis and conclusion. If you have a FVSH then you absolutely must take the car to a Volvo main dealer. Before you do that, have you checked under the seats to make sure someone hasn't accidentally kicked an exposed wire or something daft?

Crumpet Oct 16th, 2017 19:56

Thanks for the replies.

Car is at 43000 miles, fvsh so hopefully goodwill will be a possibility.

I have bought a MOST bus bypass plug so will try test all the modules in the network so I can make an informed decision at the dealer.

I don’t have access to a VIDA platform, but it sounds like that would confirm if that is the problem. It seems like each module is coded to the car so parts have to be bought from and fitted by a main dealer.

I wouldn’t be so bothered but my V70 helped ease my wallet of £1600 last Friday!

Acer Oct 16th, 2017 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumpet (Post 2328096)
Thanks for the replies.

Car is at 43000 miles, fvsh so hopefully goodwill will be a possibility.

I have bought a MOST bus bypass plug so will try test all the modules in the network so I can make an informed decision at the dealer.

I don’t have access to a VIDA platform, but it sounds like that would confirm if that is the problem. It seems like each module is coded to the car so parts have to be bought from and fitted by a main dealer.

I wouldn’t be so bothered but my V70 helped ease my wallet of £1600 last Friday!

You are best finding someone with a decent Volvo code reader. I would help out but you are miles away. The mileage is low and something must have come loose, unless the unit has blown for some odd reason. People don't seem to post much about this kind of fault and there are plenty of V40s older than yours with sat nav. Hoping this will be an easy one. The XC90 liked draining my wallet (in similar fashion to your V70), which is ultimately why I made the call to move it on. Endless expense with cars.

spokoluzik Oct 20th, 2017 20:03

If screen is completely blank means Is not related to MOST break. It should load at least logo.
Software update may fix it. If you have no luck sorting it out with volvo let me know. I'm happy to help you fitting second had unit but want broken in exchange for testing purposes.
Regards
Lukas

Crumpet Oct 20th, 2017 22:17

PM sent

Acer Oct 20th, 2017 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumpet (Post 2329623)
PM sent

Have you checked connections under the passenger seat to ensure nothing has been loosened or kicked? I am guessing second hand units would still be expensive as the oldest you will find is only from 2012.

KevinScarry Apr 25th, 2024 11:30

Infotainment screen

I have a s60 2018. The infotainment screen has gone. Volvo charged £170 to diagnose it wasn’t working ( I was aware) and then want £1400 to replace it. No good will as they say that as I have had 2 of 6 services not with Volvo. I suggested that an integral part should have lasted at least 6 years as per consumers rights act. Can’t go else where as the garage has to purchase screen from Volvo at £1200. I love my Volvo but do find them unsatisfactory in after care and very expensive.