Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Not connected properly? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=150909)

bosundelnosh Apr 17th, 2012 18:35

Not connected properly?

Hi all. I posted a gear knob question earlier today and got an extremely helpful reply pretty much straight away (thanks again gatos). So, I thought I'd try much luck again with this little problem:

I have to input my radio code every time I switch on the radio. I'm sure this is not right, and I guess that it's not connected up properly.

Also, ever since I bought the car (12months ago) the immobiliser led has never come on. Is this related to my radio problem?

And, there's no audible warning which tells me that I've left my lights on, but I don't know if the V40 is supposed to beep. Are these all related?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

stephend Apr 17th, 2012 21:24

Most likely cause of the immobiliser not coming on is the bonnet switch. A quick search will find you several threads relating to this (mine has just developed the same problem). I don't think it's related to the radio problem, though.

A beeping warning for the lights: I don't think it has one.

Haizum74 Apr 17th, 2012 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephend (Post 1142508)
Most likely cause of the immobiliser not coming on is the bonnet switch. A quick search will find you several threads relating to this (mine has just developed the same problem). I don't think it's related to the radio problem, though.

A beeping warning for the lights: I don't think it has one.

No it doesnt have one, least up to 2001 it doesn't, can't say after that as not had one after 2001

bosundelnosh Apr 18th, 2012 09:24

Thanks for the replies.

Fair enough about the warning for the lights (or lack of), besides, I always thought that these were kind of annoying!

But does the V40 have parking lights?

As regards to the bonnet switch I have no idea where to start looking: where is it located?

And is there a simple way to test to see if the car alarm actually works, rather than just the immobiliser LED not working?

Thanks again.

Darlo 1 Apr 18th, 2012 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosundelnosh (Post 1142333)
Hi all. I posted a gear knob question earlier today and got an extremely helpful reply pretty much straight away (thanks again gatos). So, I thought I'd try much luck again with this little problem:

I have to input my radio code every time I switch on the radio. I'm sure this is not right, and I guess that it's not connected up properly.

Also, ever since I bought the car (12months ago) the immobiliser led has never come on. Is this related to my radio problem?

And, there's no audible warning which tells me that I've left my lights on, but I don't know if the V40 is supposed to beep. Are these all related?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Radio should have permanent live feed for the memory
Immobiliser light may have a blown or no bulb plus the bonnet switch has nowt to do with the immobiliser only the alarm and is a micro switch located in the bonnet catch mechanisam itself
The v/s40 does not have a lights left on alarm/buzzer

bosundelnosh Apr 18th, 2012 19:38

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll need to borrow a multimeter off someone...

But what about parking lights, do V40 s have them?

Thanks.

mikealder Apr 18th, 2012 20:12

Just rotate the main light switch from off to the first position, this will bring on the parking lights (all four corners and the rear number plate).

As for the radio check the connector as follows:

A1 = Swiched 12V from ignition switch coloured Red via fuse A10
A2 = Perm 12V via fuse B9 coloured Brown/ White
A8 = GND Coloured Black
A12 = GND Coloured Black

- Mike

Neillyboy78 Apr 18th, 2012 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosundelnosh (Post 1143184)
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll need to borrow a multimeter off someone...

But what about parking lights, do V40 s have them?

Thanks.

No m8...i've had 3 V40's and none of them have had parking lights.