Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   V50 and V60. 1.6 or 2.0 diesel (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=150918)

vegasbaby100 Apr 17th, 2012 19:54

V50 and V60. 1.6 or 2.0 diesel

Hi all

I am thinking of getting the Volvo V50 or the V60 (if I can afford it) now im looking at the 1,6 nad the 2.0 diesel se versions.

The guy at the dealership reccomended the 1.6ltr. I usually go for 2ltr options as i do around 150 miles per day. Any comments or reccomendations would be great on the engines and the cars

Ninja59 Apr 17th, 2012 19:59

it depends you will get a much better deal on a v50 as it is a run out car. the 1.6 has less go but better tax a lot lower not as much grunt as the 2.0 which is a five cylinder (D3 or D4) but you pay for it in tax really.

SonyVaio Apr 17th, 2012 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegasbaby100 (Post 1142413)
Hi all

I am thinking of getting the Volvo V50 or the V60 (if I can afford it) now im looking at the 1.6 and the 2.0 diesel SE versions.

The guy at the dealership reccomended the 1.6ltr. I usually go for 2ltr options as i do around 150 miles per day. Any comments or reccomendations would be great on the engines and the cars

My personal opinion is the 1.6 is too underpowered and the car/s really suit a 2.0d. There are plenty of happy 1.6 owners out there but having driven them I wouldn't go less than the 2.0 as a good balance between economy and power. Although I've not driven a V60 1.6d but as it is bigger than the V50 it can't be any better - only worse.

If economy is your main driving factor then definitely go for the 1.6 but if it is all round usability then go for a 2.0. I think with a 150 daily trip then you would enjoy the 2.0d better, of course best thing is to have a good test drive with both engines. I found with the 1.6d that I was forever doing excess gearchanges hunting, searching and chasing the fuel economy of the annoying economy indicator on the info display. In the end I gave up and drove normally and of course the fuel economy suffers. The 2.0 is just far better all round to me, good gear changes at the right point and speed to allow me to drive normal (easy going) without the excess gear changes and chasing the economy factor. It really did suit the car perfectly.

:star-wars-smiley-01

kebab10 Apr 17th, 2012 21:14

Bigger is always best. Forget the road tax savings, its your right foot doing the buying! Go for a 2 litre at the very least.Try both, but I imagine you will find the 2 litre better unless you are a tree hugger!

Axionknight Apr 17th, 2012 23:38

Buy the 1.6d and remap it for a bit of extra poke, you'll maintain the efficiency (unless you boot it all the time, :P) and cheaper tax but should still have enough power for day to day driving.

If modifying isn't your thing, I'd go for the 2.0d, it's gutsy enough for just about any situation and still returns well at the pumps, where as a standard 1.6d is a bit weedy for a car this size.

kebab10 Apr 18th, 2012 09:51

Dont see the point in buying a smaller engined car, remapping the electronics and expecting miracles. Start off with a good base, 2.0 ; and then if you must remap. Better result in the end. Not saying the 1.6 is a turd, but you cant polish a turd!

SonyVaio Apr 18th, 2012 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by kebab10 (Post 1142756)
Dont see the point in buying a smaller engined car, remapping the electronics and expecting miracles. Start off with a good base, 2.0 ; and then if you must remap. Better result in the end. Not saying the 1.6 is a turd, but you cant polish a turd!

I beg to differ - but only on the turd part!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

:star-wars-smiley-01

Harvey1512 Apr 18th, 2012 10:15

I've ordered a V60 1.6d and am hoping I don't regret it. I did have an S40 2.0d before so I will be able to compare pretty well within a short space of time. I had that car for 2 years and I didn't find the engine to be so special that I had to have another one the same. I have driven a C5 with a 1.6d engine, maybe even the same engine?, and I found it perfectly okay. The real difference was that you did need to make more gear changes than in the 2.0d. Whether that is an issue for you depends on the type of journey you do in your 150 daily trip. If that will drive you nuts then go for the 2.0d. My journeys are fairly mellow and so the gear changing will not be an issue and motorway driving will let you sit in 6th anyway.

Personally I would try to go for the V60 as, in my opinion, it is a much nicer car than the V50. The V50 is quite dated whilst the V60 is slicker, better designed etc. Before any V50 owners take the hump this is inevitable as the V50 is simply an older design. The new V40 will rectify that.

One of the big reasons to go for the 1.6d is the emissions/tax situation and the promised improved economy. 2yrs in my S40 gave an average of 45-46mpg but my memory of the S40/V50 forum is that the V50 fared worse in terms of economy and many were disappointed with what they were getting. Equally, does anyone trust the figures given out with these Eco engines? If I can get within 5mpg of the 1.6d figures then I'll be happy and it will have been worthwhile.

Incidentally if you are looking to lease your car then the V60 will stand out a mile. Volvo are supporting this model in leasing terms at the moment and the deals are excellent.

kebab10 Apr 18th, 2012 11:53

Speaking as one who isnt a tree hugger and doesnt really give a damn about emissions, I would never buy a car as its 1p to tax or 100p to tax. I buy with my right foot in mind. So long as I can afford to fill a tank, I will empty it at my pace and not keep a beady eye on the mpg.

Motorists never used to worry about emissions and mpg but gradually the taxation on the motorist has changed that. I refuse to grow up and certainly hope you dont regret your smaller engine choice down to taxation by the look of things.

Did see a V40 yesterday, looked very similar to the new Focus shape!

Harvey1512 Apr 18th, 2012 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by kebab10 (Post 1142845)
Speaking as one who isnt a tree hugger and doesnt really give a damn about emissions, I would never buy a car as its 1p to tax or 100p to tax. I buy with my right foot in mind. So long as I can afford to fill a tank, I will empty it at my pace and not keep a beady eye on the mpg.

Motorists never used to worry about emissions and mpg but gradually the taxation on the motorist has changed that. I refuse to grow up and certainly hope you dont regret your smaller engine choice down to taxation by the look of things.

Did see a V40 yesterday, looked very similar to the new Focus shape!

I would have agreed with you until the last 12 months or so when fuel has become frighteningly expensive. If I can squeeze an extra 5-10mpg out of my car without changing my driving style then it will be worth it. I am lucky as well in that the type of journeys I do mean that I can get away without the bigger engine.

I would agree that if you are doing a lot of miles then you need the comfort and extra power of a 2.0d. I am pleased I am not a rep doing 40k a year and either being screwed on tax or getting ground down by a lightweight engine. Govts have forgotten a car is a tool for many people and essential for their job.