Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oil pressure gauge sender? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=41932)

tuning_redblock Aug 9th, 2007 10:14

Oil pressure gauge sender?

Hello everyone, I have the sender but how is it wired?

Does it just replace the sensor and does it just have one wire attached to it, please help as this is blondie77's car and need everything to work.

Andi K

Baffler Aug 9th, 2007 13:49

I too have an oil pressure sender unit that I picked up on EBay. I believe it goes in place of the oil level sensor located beside the oil filter. There should be a yellow wire tied back to the grey loom which should be hanging freely near the oil dip stick or between the radiator and the engine. Connect both the yellow and the orange wire (that is connected to the oil level sender) and you should have a result, although, I'm not 100% sure of the polarity!

Now I just need the time to fit mine :-O

NB* new copper washers need to be fitted to the pressure sender unit to prevent any leakage.

Good luck...

tuning_redblock Aug 9th, 2007 16:47

Hello again, just to check is this wire yellow by any chance, as mine has been cut, any ideas?

Baffler Aug 10th, 2007 13:30

Yes, the wire you're looking for is yellow.

vaultkeeper Aug 13th, 2007 11:56

Expanding this topic

Hi guy's, found the above info really helpful
I've got a 2.0 ES on a 93 plate, it has the orange wire going into the part at the side of the oil filter. The yellow wire is hanging down as described.
So do I need to buy a new sensor so I can wire both wires to it ? Also I took the gauges (Volt & Oil Pressure) out of my 1989 ES model but there is five prongs at the back and the plug in the dash only has 4 holes ?????

Help me out here.

Many thanks,

Eddie

Baffler Aug 14th, 2007 13:02

I'm not sure what the fifth connection is for. I have guages from a turbo which also has the five pins and I also have only four wires coming from the dash.
If you have taken the guages from the 89 ES, can't you take out the oil pressure sender unit also? If not, I could be putting one up for sale soon as my 480 is seeking a new home...

vaultkeeper Aug 14th, 2007 15:34

One of those things you think of just after you have submitted the post.
I will be taking it off @ the weekend.

donpaulo Aug 20th, 2007 10:17

the older gauge sets have six pins on the back. But they are still ok to use with the 4 pin set up. Just plug it on (to the left or right side....i can't remember!) If you look at the solder lines on the circuit board it will become obvious which 4 prongs are the useful ones.

If you're fitting an old sender, try to get replacement washers from volvo. They can leak a bit otherwise.

good luck....its an easy job and satisfying too.

For anyone who's interested, to buy a new sender is insanely expensive.

blondie77 Aug 20th, 2007 19:39

Hello everyone, it's in and working fine, I just need to blank off the turbo gauge as it isn't used in blondie77's car as it doesn't have the turbo, I'll remove the gauge and put a black blanking plate in