Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cost of replacing bonnet release cable - be warned (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=9289)

stevell Mar 24th, 2005 23:19

Cost of replacing bonnet release cable - be warned

The bonnet of my 1998 V40 would not open as the release cable was broken. I took it to Marshall's in Cambridge who needed to remove the front bumper to access the release mechanism and then replaced the cable.

The cost for this inconvenient problem? £184.44 and that included the Marshall's 10% discount scheme. Ouch!

Be warned, check your cable and bonnet release mechanism regularly.

Steve

Rooster Mar 25th, 2005 00:35

RE: Cost of replacing bonnet release cable - be warned

They made hard work of that then,

thats what apprentises are for "put you hand up there and pop bonnet open", If not quater drive extension fits very nicly between slats in front grill.

I'm must say tho bonnet cables are not a nice job to replace on s/v40's

4 forty Mar 25th, 2005 18:34

this topic has been mentioned before,i have a nylon cord fixed to the bonnet release catch, hidden underneath the bumper,should the original snap, at least you, or a garage can open the bonnet without great expenditure on removing items for access.

paul

bigandquick Mar 25th, 2005 21:12

Once again I recommend independentvolvoservices.com in Letchworth. Tony, the proprietor, changed the cable in my wife's S40 a month ago. Granted he didn't have to pop the bonnet, but labour was £45 and parts £34.50, both plus VAT. Steer clear of Marshalls unless you print money and enjoy their 'only dealer in the area so we can treat you how we like' attitude. Size isn't everything.

Gray32 Jan 17th, 2006 21:39

Re: Cost of replacing bonnet release cable

I currently have this problem on a S40 2002. I took this in to my local dealership (Oldham)to get mended. Quoted me £300 (worse case senario) as the bonnet catch had total ceased and they were struggling to open the bonnet. They didn't have the parts in stock, so I have booked the car in to be fixed in a couple of days. However I'm not impressed with the amount, but what choices do I really have. I'm hopping that is won't cost me anyware near £300 to get the bonnet release fixed.

v6en Jan 19th, 2006 04:08

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/BosDirec....php?cat_id=10

there are some independents that have been recommended on this site, see anyone near you? £300 is daylight robbery.

jacq.

Gray32 Jan 19th, 2006 20:38

Thanks for the link. I will use of the independant garages next time i have any problems, as the main dealerships are just too expensive.

Thanks

Ross9 Jan 20th, 2006 20:57

Thats just robbery asking those prices to replace the cable.

I did it myself on Jacquelines but it is a right royal pain in the arse to do. Come to think of it though she had the aftermarket grille on then which I just broke the mesh off of to gain access and then fixed the grill afterwards. Even when you get the bonnet open the job of replacing the cable is tragically more difficult and annoying than it ever needed to be lol.

Ross

sident1972 Feb 27th, 2006 18:51

Any more details

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 forty
this topic has been mentioned before,i have a nylon cord fixed to the bonnet release catch, hidden underneath the bumper,should the original snap, at least you, or a garage can open the bonnet without great expenditure on removing items for access.

paul

Paul do you have any more details on how you did this as I have had a few occasions where my bonnet catch has stuck.
Cheers Si

TimmyS40 Feb 28th, 2006 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster
They made hard work of that then,

thats what apprentises are for "put you hand up there and pop bonnet open", If not quater drive extension fits very nicly between slats in front grill.

I'm must say tho bonnet cables are not a nice job to replace on s/v40's

i found it rather easy to be honest. i used the 'barter' system. i changed a tap washer, my mate changed my bonnet cable. happy days!