Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Engine: D5: Engine Oil Change (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=96782)

andrew_S60 May 29th, 2010 15:24

Engine Oil Change

Hi all,

My D5 185 has covered 48k miles and was last serviced about 5k miles ago. Ive had the car a week and Im thinking about an oil change as the dealer wouldnt do it because of the cost implications after me rejecting another vehicle.
Is it easy to DIY an oil change, if so what filter should I use and what is the best possible oil for the engine?

Alos, do K&N do a panel filter for the D5 engine as I had one in my Vauxhall CDTI engine and it made a world of difference to both economy and performance.

Andrew

Clan May 29th, 2010 15:35

Firstly the oil will be fine until the next 54000 mile service ,
The oil to use is Volvo castrol SLX longtec 0w/30 specification A5 B5 which is the specification that makes it suitable for 18000 miles , it wont get sludged up or anything .. ( Possibly superceeded by the same rating Castrol Edge now ) This will help well with fuel consumption .
with this engine with the Particulate filter if 2006 or later fill the oil with 5.8 litres rather than 6.4 , this is the new recommended level which is about 30% down from MAX on the dipstick ...

Dont use any other aif filter , and NEVER one you add oil to .... volvo have done a pretty good job from standard with a cold air feed ..

Georgeandkira May 29th, 2010 19:39

'beg your pardon?

Hello Andrew, Obviously I understood Clan's point about you being early with an oil change (I had no idea A5,B5 diesel engine oils lasted so long). I did the math from your example and it sounds like Clan is recommending a change at ~12,000 miles even though modern oil will go for 18,000. That sounds good to me since a diesel in a passenger car goes through more warm-up cycles per time unit than a work lorry. Also, what did you mean by "...cost implications after me rejecting another vehicle."? Don't mean to split hairs but I need to know how to go about owning a diesel. Back in the 1980s General Motors marketed diesel engines in passenger cars in the U.S. and the concensus was that the execution was half-baked. The diesel I'd buy would be a proven powerplant from a European or Asian manufacturer. Can't wait. Kira

andrew_S60 May 29th, 2010 19:51

The cost implications relate to me rejecting a V50 2.0 diesel after a hat full of problems. The dealer swapped it for the more expensive S60 out of goodwill. They lost about £1000 in attempted repairs on the V50 and lost £1500 on the screen price of the S60 because they charged me no extra due to loss of faith in the brand.

perryspain May 31st, 2010 10:51

sounds like you got a pretty good deal in the end.

cumbrianmale Jul 4th, 2010 22:46

Diesel particulate filter and rising oil levels discussion

There are a number of threads scattered around the various boards for the models affected and it has been suggested to keep the discussion here as the issue is particular to the engines and not the cars.

All the other discussions are indexed in that thread and can be linked to from there to read the previous discussions. If you know of any other discussions let me know and I will add them to the list.

Ibby667 Nov 7th, 2014 15:21

[QUOTE=Clan;678298]Firstly the oil will be fine until the next 54000 mile service ,
The oil to use is Volvo castrol SLX longtec 0w/30 specification A5 B5 which is the specification that makes it suitable for 18000 miles , it wont get sludged up or anything .. ( Possibly superceeded by the same rating Castrol Edge now ) This will help well with fuel consumption .
with this engine with the Particulate filter if 2006 or later fill the oil with 5.8 litres rather than 6.4 , this is the new recommended level which is about 30% down from MAX on the dipstick ...

HI there, I am looking to change the oil tomorrow using the "castrol edge titanium fst 0w30 A5B5" and I have check with the dealer as they confirmed that all software are updated and i need to add 6.2L not 5.8l?

Its a S60 S 2006 with 58k miles! what do you recomand and why..
Thank you

Ibby667 Nov 7th, 2014 15:22

[QUOTE=Clan;678298]Firstly the oil will be fine until the next 54000 mile service ,

HI there, I am looking to change the oil tomorrow using the "castrol edge titanium fst 0w30 A5B5" and I have check with the dealer as they confirmed that all software are updated and i need to add 6.2L not 5.8l?

Thank you

Clan Nov 8th, 2014 11:13

[QUOTE=Ibby667;1775409]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 678298)
Firstly the oil will be fine until the next 54000 mile service ,

Thank you

I recommend what I said above ! And it isn't what I recommend it is what VOLVO recommend , if you fill with 6.2 litres you will have a " ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED" message shortly after which could cost £60 + for the garage to sort out.

I take it the software has already been updated on the previous service with the free service promise software from what you say ? Or do you mean it has had the New Oil level Recall ?

Ibby667 Nov 8th, 2014 11:17

[QUOTE=Clan;1775897]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibby667 (Post 1775409)

I recommend what I said above ! And it isn't what I recommend it is what VOLVO recommend , if you fill with 6.2 litres you will have a " ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED" message shortly after which could cost £60 + for the garage to sort out.

I take it the software has already been updated on the previous service with the free service promise software from what you say ? Or do you mean it has had the New Oil level Recall ?

Thank you for getting back. I called Volvo dealer and they said all SW updated. I am about go change the oil just now and I will add 5.8L as recommended.
Is there is a difference between SW update and oil recall? I