Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Sunroof open during Downpour (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=270681)

neon Jul 22nd, 2017 11:20

Sunroof open during Downpour

2 Attachment(s)
This is a weird one.
Went out early today, was raining quite hard, arrived at carpark, left car for about 45mins, was still raining.
Returned to car, loaded up boot and when I got into the drivers seat I noticed puddles of water on the centre console, Sensus screen and water dripping through the Intellisafe housing.
I looked up and the pan roof blind was shut and the sunroof was open on a tilt. When I left the car the blind was open and the sunroof shut, I never open the sunroof.
I racked my brain thinking, have I been stupid enough to open the sunroof for anything and left it open, but I am sure I did not and also did not close the blind.
I am concerned now I have water inside areas that could cause issues or corrosion going forward.
Anyone know of anything similiar happening as I am completely baffled. Could these pano roof switches be a bit dodgy I am wondering, never had a problem with it before.
The other thing is there is no signs of water anywhere else, from the roof lining, around the sunroof, on the seats or anywhere else at all.

ulstrup Jul 22nd, 2017 11:58

first of all you better dry carefully everything and that includes using an hair dryer.
second you should call VOLVO customer service and have the event put on records in case damages appear later on.

it's very unlikely that the dealer could do anything since I doubt that you can reproduce the problem.....leaving surrounded by silicon-made chips might be annoying!

nu11eaf Jul 22nd, 2017 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2300054)
This is a weird one.
Went out early today, was raining quite hard, arrived at carpark, left car for about 45mins, was still raining.
Returned to car, loaded up boot and when I got into the drivers seat I noticed puddles of water on the centre console, Sensus screen and water dripping through the Intellisafe housing.
I looked up and the pan roof blind was shut and the sunroof was open on a tilt. When I left the car the blind was open and the sunroof shut, I never open the sunroof.
I racked my brain thinking, have I been stupid enough to open the sunroof for anything and left it open, but I am sure I did not and also did not close the blind.
I am concerned now I have water inside areas that could cause issues or corrosion going forward.
Anyone know of anything similiar happening as I am completely baffled. Could these pano roof switches be a bit dodgy I am wondering, never had a problem with it before.

Had the sunroof fail to shut properly once. See attached thread.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=269193

Quacker Jul 22nd, 2017 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2300054)
The other thing is there is no signs of water anywhere else, from the roof lining, around the sunroof, on the seats or anywhere else at all.

Fairly sure that the switch is isolated as soon as the ignition is switched off and the door opened, just like the door window switches.

There should be drains in the roof opening to drain water from the sunken frame area, but I've no idea why water should have found its way to behind the central mirror on the windscreen.

If this had happened to me, the first and second thoughts would be "damn, I forgot to close the roof!", and I'm sure you have thought this too, as you say.

Is it possible to completely close the blind with the roof tilted? I'd try and replicate that, as a first step. The water in the front probably came through the back and ran forward above the blind until it dropped out of the very front of the blind.

Lexman8 Jul 22nd, 2017 13:39

I'd go for a 30 minute (or more) drive with MAX selected on the Main Climate tab. This forces on the aircon (to produce dry air), sets the temperature and fan to maximum and directs the air onto the screen. This should direct plenty of air to towards the Intellisafe unit to really dry it out.

The switch could be dodgy but it could also be a s/w glitch or faulty ECU as all the switch does is tell an ECU to operate the roof and blind.

Lexman8 Jul 22nd, 2017 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2300097)
Is it possible to completely close the blind with the roof tilted?

It is possible as I did it once without meaning to (I still don't like the single switch approach). Whether it's supposed to happen is another matter.

neon Jul 22nd, 2017 14:09

With the auto sunblind option to close in hot weather in Sensus would this still mean the sunroof is isolated when the ignition is off.

If the sunroof had been open I think I would also have noticed it on the journey there. Also as it had been raining in the night I would have thought the interior would have been wet at the start of the journey.

I can see how Volvo might think I have left it open when I report it unless they are aware of an issue.

I thought I had seen another post of someones sunroof doing things by itself.

Lexman8 Jul 22nd, 2017 14:22

Quote:

With the auto sunblind option to close in hot weather in Sensus would this still mean the sunroof is isolated when the ignition is off.
Pretty much everything on this car is controlled by ECUs connected over networks. In older cars turning off the ignition switch literally cut the power to most systems but this is no longer true. Turning off the ignition these days is really telling a shed-load of ECUs to power off or go to sleep. It's when they don't do this that problems can arise; a good example is battery drain where a system doesn't go to sleep but just keeps on drawing power.

Good luck getting it dried out. I actually don't think it'll cause any long term issues.
_

neon Jul 22nd, 2017 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2300126)
Pretty much everything on this car is controlled by ECUs connected over networks. In older cars where turning off the ignition switch literally cut the power to most systems, this is no longer true. Turning off the ignition these days is really telling a shed-load of systems to power off or go to sleep. It's when they don't do this that problems can arise; a good example is battery drain where a system doesn't go to sleep but just keeps on drawing power.

Good luck getting it dried out. I actually don't think it'll cause any long term issues.

I can see why cyber security is so critical going forward. I do not want to be starting my car remotely and launching rockets from North Korea by accident.

Going to give it a run now to be sure it is dried out.

Quacker Jul 22nd, 2017 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2300102)
It is possible as I did it once without meaning to (I still don't like the single switch approach). Whether it's supposed to happen is another matter.

I don't think that the switch is the problem, if there is one. However, it did take me nearly two weeks of head-scratching to fully work out how the switch and roof worked. No problem now and I like it.