Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Winter tyres (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=107283)

salsa Oct 19th, 2010 08:54

Winter tyres

I am looking to fit a set of Nokian WR G2's to my XC 90. I have found a set on mytyres and a place to fit them.

I have a question which set do I go for?

The weights for the relevant tyre sizes listed are 104 or 108 M+S, bearing in mind I live in the North Pennines which ususlly has snow every year and tow a twin axle horse box which would be the better option?

Many thanks

catbert Oct 19th, 2010 13:38

Hi,

I am looking at tyres too. I think the M&S means mud and snow. Be careful, and choose the right one. Im looking at pirelli scorpion Ice and snow. The reason being the name means im less likly to go wrong. If yours is a D5 I guess 104 - thats the load rating. It will be on your existing tyres.

cheers

chrisrixy Oct 19th, 2010 18:43

winter tyres

I had a look at various options before selecting Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme's - but then couldn't find any 235/65R17 in stock at a good price anywhere.

I ended up with a set of Hankook W300 Icebears - they look nice, but can't report if any good as they are not on the car yet. One of the few I found that are V rated.

I looked at various comparison sites - the only thing in common was that all the tyres seemed to get a huge range of reviews from 'dreadful' to 'excellent tyres - i'm on my second set'. So not that helpful really. I assume differences may be down to tyre sizes & driving style.

Try www.tyretest.com for some reviews - Linked to www.mytyres.co.uk who are actually based in Germany.
I found both www.tyremen.co.uk and www.camskill.co.uk helpful, although I bought from a local dealer in the end. Tyremen now have the Wintrac 4's back in stock now.

Maybe we can all compare experiences after the winter!

RoyMacDonald Oct 20th, 2010 11:44

I'm testing my Wintrac 4 Extremes for the fourth winter now and they are fantastic in all conditions, but especially snow.

theonlyone Oct 20th, 2010 22:39

I'm on my second winter on Wintrac4 Xtremes, and I'd echo Roy - they are fantastic in snow and heavy rain. They also wear very well and can be used perfectly happily all year round.

I used the standard Pirellis for the first winter and they were dreadful in comparison.

Regards,

kiteski Oct 21st, 2010 11:11

Semi related question, but are the standard tyres rated as M&S tyres? Car is 200 miles away from me so cannot check myself!!

I am driving to the Alps in Easter, is it possible to put snow chains on an XC90? I am not expecting to drive through heavy lying snow in April, but I want a plan B just in case, and cannot justify swopping my existing tyres that have only done 3k miles!!

regards,

Greg

Ron_XC90 Oct 21st, 2010 11:24

If they still fit the Conti's as standard, they are all Weather but not M&S rated.

You should be able to fit snow chains, as long as they fit the size of the wheels (they are big!). Probably because of the AWD system best is to fit chains to all 4 wheels.

Just a general note for travelling abroad; in certain Countries it is now a legal requirement to fit winter grade tyres during the winter Months. Failing to do so could mean that your car is seen as not road worthy and can have consequences if you're involved in a collision.
Best to check for info for the Country your travelling to and the Countries you drive through on your way...

kiteski Oct 21st, 2010 11:29

cheers Ron, I was aware of the legal requirements, when I looked last year it was still a bit wooly, and checking the AA web site it still appears to be, for Austria it says:

Winter equipment – All Motorists have the legal obligation to adapt their vehicle to winter weather conditions.
Between the 1st November and the 15th April vehicles must be fitted with winter tyres (which must be marked M&S on the side walls and have a minimum tread depth of 4mm) or all-season tyres which must be marked M&S (mud and snow) and if roads have a covering of snow, slush or ice outside these dates.
Theoretically snow chains on summer tyres can be used as an alternative to winter tyres where the road is heavily covered with snow and no damage to the road surface is caused by the snow chains. In practice, because road conditions and the weather can not be predicted, use of winter tyres is effectively compulsory.
Note: It is the driver’s legal responsibility to carry the required winter equipment;

And this site http://www.austria.info/uk/how-to-ge...d-1134817.html says

Driving in Winter
All vehicles driving on snow-covered roads must have winter tires during the winter season (Nov - April) or risk a fine if pulled over. Alternatively, all-season tires (if marked for M&S: mud and snow) are also acceptable during the winter season. Snow chains are not compulsory but must be carried in areas under advisory. Snow chains on summer tires – as an alternative to winter tires - are only accepted if the entire road is heavily covered with snow and no damage to the road is caused by the snow chains. These winter provisions are strictly enforced and control points are common.

LRS Oct 21st, 2010 21:09

Just had Wintrac 4 Extremes fitted to my 2011 XC90 Exec last weekend. Thanks to Roy for his guidance. Also had the wheel alignment geometry checked and it was a little bit out, but nowhere as bad as earlier XC90s.

I look forward to experiencing these tyres based on all the great reviews that they continue to receive. Just wish everyone in the UK ran proper winter tyres as we could then avoid the experience of sitting in a car for 7 hours just to go 5 miles after a dump of snow...!

We really can learn a lot about driving from our continental neighbors as well how to build and lay a decent smooth road surface!

Ron_XC90 Oct 21st, 2010 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRS (Post 762905)
Just had Wintrac 4 Extremes fitted to my 2011 XC90 Exec last weekend. Thanks to Roy for his guidance. Also had the wheel alignment geometry checked and it was a little bit out, but nowhere as bad as earlier XC90s.

I look forward to experiencing these tyres based on all the great reviews that they continue to receive. Just wish everyone in the UK ran proper winter tyres as we could then avoid the experience of sitting in a car for 7 hours just to go 5 miles after a dump of snow...!

We really can learn a lot about driving from our continental neighbors as well how to build and lay a decent smooth road surface!

Are you going to use the Wintrac's all Year round, or in winter only?
And yes, I absolutely agree with the last statement :)