Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   General: Starting my search for an XC90 D5 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263881)

eddieace Feb 20th, 2017 23:57

Starting my search for an XC90 D5

Hi

First post here since 2009!!! I've rolled in vectras, x-types during that time. Shamefully in a 307 at the minute and hating it. But it has 7 seats.

Hunting out an xc90, and should be ready for one at the end of march, initially was looking for a manual, but the geatronics are temptingly cheaper.

So the point of this post, what should I look out for? I Will be gunning for an 03 to 05, 2.4 D5 auto, and if I'm really lucky in grey with black leather and aluminium trim, and side steps, with maybe bullbars :)

My biggest worry is probably the box, whats the worst case scenario on cost to repair these things? And what can I do to ensure I dont end up, up the creek paddleless.

gmonag Feb 21st, 2017 00:07

If you buy a MY03-05, your biggest worry should be the AWD. Ensure the Splined Sleeve has not stripped by attempting to turn the propshaft (above the exhaust) by hand. If it spins, the sleeve is shot.
The D5 gearboxes are strong, just avoid the T6.

eddieace Feb 21st, 2017 00:24

Yeah just reading about that, in all honesty if it didn't have awd I wouldn't be all that fussed, I dont plan on any offroading.

SwissXC90 Feb 21st, 2017 09:10

I strongly recommend the facelift version from 06 or newer

Many of the teething problems in the early cars are resolved in the facelift cars, such as AWD fails.

eddieace Feb 21st, 2017 18:02

Hi swiss, in all honesty I dont think my budget will stretch to that year, I was planning on keeping a bit back for contingency funds in case of repairs.

Glanced over a how to on the AWD issue and tbh its something I'd have a stab at myself if it should desire the need for AWD.

I'm looking for 7 seats and some boot space too, not a lot out there that give both.

Tannaton Feb 21st, 2017 18:24

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...pect+injectors

eddieace Feb 21st, 2017 19:35

Thanks Tannaton

Already read through that, my main concern is buying one and then something gives out in the first month thats gonna cost me £££'s and it's the auto box thats scaring me I may even budget a dealer gearbox fluid change but then they'd probably come back saying it needs this, and this and one of those, 2 of these 😩

SwissXC90 Feb 21st, 2017 21:03

If you are that scared buy a bus ticket :D

No risk, no fun....

colinbos Feb 21st, 2017 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddieace (Post 2238125)
Thanks Tannaton

Already read through that, my main concern is buying one and then something gives out in the first month thats gonna cost me £££'s and it's the auto box thats scaring me I may even budget a dealer gearbox fluid change but then they'd probably come back saying it needs this, and this and one of those, 2 of these ��

I know what you mean, BUT, if you pick a car with great history and a pile of receipts for repairs etc etc, you'll narrow that risk down. Especially if theres some oil changes on the Autobox, or indeed buying one from this forum as they do come up now and again.

jamie1131 Feb 22nd, 2017 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinbos (Post 2238195)
I know what you mean, BUT, if you pick a car with great history and a pile of receipts for repairs etc etc, you'll narrow that risk down. Especially if theres some oil changes on the Autobox, or indeed buying one from this forum as they do come up now and again.

Thats what I did, a stack of receipts (from a main dealer) two inches thick and still the car is losing oil faster than the Deep Water Horizon.
Second hand cars are a lottery.
I spent £3900 on my 2007 D5 with 160k on the clock and kept £1000 back for repairs but thats not even going to come close to covering a new engine :-(