Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   V60 under floor spare (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=175772)

ian77 Mar 17th, 2013 18:25

V60 under floor spare

After finding my V60 with a flat on the drive the other week and making it suffer the indignity of being left on bricks while I took the tyre to be fixed, I've now acquired a spare from fleabay.

There has been much discussion about the tempa spare taking up valuable boot space and that's where mine is currently located however today I emptied the boot and removed the tray under the boot floor and there is loads of space under there, enough in fact to stick the spare in together with jack with plenty of space around. The floor goes back down but there isn't enough space for the tray (which doesn't bother me too much).

All good so far but three questions:

1) There's no fixing for the wheel so it's just loose (although effectively wedged) - could this be an issue? The floor cant lift with the boot shut so I'm guessing in an accident it will be ok?

2) there's lots of expensive looking electronic modules seeming scattered under the boot floor-I'm quite keen to use the space round the wheel to pack some of the things in that I have displaced from the tray but would want to wrap them well to avoid rattles. What's the chances of damaging something important?

3) the alternative to 2 is to cut a hole out of the boot tray to accommodate the spare so the surrounding floor is still partly useful (in particular there's lots of space between the seats and the wheel). Can the trays be bought separately and anyone forsee any problems with this?

Thanks

Ian

844PHW Mar 17th, 2013 18:33

I would expect the spare wheel to be held down with a hand-screwed bolt through the centre, but I am not familar with the V60. There is certainly such a fixing on the XC60.
Regarding storage, again the XC60 has a shaped tray that fits over the spare and under the floor, although it peculiar shape means it is not that great for storage. I wonder if there is something similar for the V60.

ian77 Mar 17th, 2013 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by 844PHW (Post 1376100)
I would expect the spare wheel to be held down with a hand-screwed bolt through the centre, but I am not familar with the V60. There is certainly such a fixing on the XC60.
Regarding storage, again the XC60 has a shaped tray that fits over the spare and under the floor, although it peculiar shape means it is not that great for storage. I wonder if there is something similar for the V60.

The V60 doesn't come with a designated space for a spare beneath the boot due to the shape of the car floor to accommodate the silencer beneath, theres only one for the squirty foam pack. Consequently there is no fixing bolt or round well. By stowing the wheel as I tried, it takes up the space the tray was in so if I keep the tray I'd have to cut a large round hole in it.

Crockers Mar 18th, 2013 14:38

Ian
I'm very interested in this thread. If you cut a hole in the ready can you take a picture.

Thanks.

redshoe1 Mar 26th, 2013 18:23

Hi I've just recently purchased my V60 and it had no spare wheel, as I travel a lot with early mornings or late nights. I've purchased as Tempa spare and Jack on line, it arrived today. In order to fit it in the boot space under the boot floor space I've taken the tray out completely and the fom for the gel and pump out it then fits and sits in the 1/2 size wheel shape cut out fairly well. My only concern is there is no way to secure it but with the main floor mat down it should be held in place. The jack, wrench and toe eye I wrapped in old sheet and these fit under the wheel with out a problem. Then all the other bits I did have in the tray (Triange, overalls , high vis vest , first aid box) all fit around the other area very well away from any of the other eletrical kit in the area. Best of luck Phil

NewVolvo Mar 28th, 2013 09:18

Volvo is now offering Tempa Spare for the V60 (among many other models) at a cost of £150 when ordering new. Expensive, but necessary if you ask me!

We have also ordered the Tempa Spare for the wife's new V40.

SplittingDistant May 31st, 2013 17:09

I've also purchased a spacesaver spare, removed the lower tray and wedged the naked wheel into place (the bag provided takes up too much room). But I'm not happy about the thought of it coming loose in the event of an emergency stop, accident, or City Safe activation (:-) as there's gubbins in there that looks expensive to replace if hit by an unrestrained wheel. And I'm not keen on it contacting with my noggin in the event of a serious "event" either.

I was thinking of using polypropylene lashing ties to hold the wheel in place, but if you tie them to the factory fitted eyelets above the load floor, then the load floor won't sit correctly, and Wifey grumbles. So I'm considering using 4 or 6 Tie Down Lashing Rings, glued to the wheel well depression with Araldite Rapid Steel epoxy glue and lash to those instead. That would seem to be a cheap, neat and safe solution.

My problem is that it sounds too good to be true, which normally means I've missed sommat bleedin' obvious.

So it over to you guys to let me know what it is I've forgotten.

Thanks.

PS And if anyone can tell me if a Bluetooth satnav will pair with the V60 onboard bluetooth without a mobile phone in the mix I'd be sooo grateful.

BSF May 31st, 2013 19:26

Is it not possible to cut the foam insert so the spare wheel fits in the cut out keeping it away from the electrical equipment

volvorocks May 31st, 2013 23:42

Why pay £150 for a spare wheel?

Get it chucked in as a clincher to a sale.

Regards

Crockers May 31st, 2013 23:46

One could say that for a lot if extras. Eventually you will have to pay for something. :D