Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon: Exhaust rubber 0 👎 tow-bar 1 👍 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=331103)

Sunnysoutheast Feb 25th, 2023 08:18

Exhaust rubber 0 👎 tow-bar 1 👍

5 Attachment(s)
So I planned to get stage one on the tow-bar project done today. It’s now refurbished and ready to fit but oh dear while I was under the rear end I noticed there was a snapped exhaust ring in the tail pipe. Oops! It’s only 3 months old. Why did it snap?
After a few phone calls I found a likely alternative and tried to refit it, but needed an extra long bolt to help me close up the clamp on the rings.
Question? has anyone else had broken rubber ring problems?

Anyway I did eventually get the tow bar installed ready for Sundays wire-up.
Happy days, all’s well that ends well.
See snaps for more information.

Derek UK Feb 25th, 2023 13:50

Quality of the rubber rings is very poor now days. Although the pipe will drop a bit the rings shouldn't be stretched as much as shown in the pics. Try larger diameter rings if you can. Hanging an exhaust is an expression and that is how they should be fitted. i.e. Hanging with a bit of movement if you wag the rear pipe. All rings should be a bit flexible.
Idea. If the clamp closes fully on one ring you could possibly use two clamps to allow the rings to be a bit slacker.

142 Guy Feb 25th, 2023 16:25

Yes indeed. Not on an Amazon; but, on my 142 and in almost exactly the same application - tailpipe hanger. New Simons sport exhaust system started rattling about 4-5 months after installation. Investigation showed missing do-nut on the OEM style tail pipe hanger hanger. No local vendors had correct do-nuts so I ordered two new ones (replacement and spare - pretty smart right?) from VP or CVI or whoever. The first new one snapped on installation and the spare disappeared a couple of months later.

At that point I said enough and switched the support to a flexible strap type hanger which has been 'hanging on' fine for about 6 years. The interesting thing is that the Simons exhaust system uses rubber suspension do-nuts for the whole system. The do-nuts for the mufflers are not circular in cross section, more of a wide flattened ellipse. Those do-nuts show no signs of deterioration. Its only the do-nuts with the smaller circular cross section like in your photo that have been problematic for me.

Short answer - replace with a different style hanger or purchase a large supply of don-nuts for regular on-going maintenance.

Sunnysoutheast Feb 26th, 2023 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 142 Guy (Post 2881027)
Yes indeed. Not on an Amazon; but, on my 142 and in almost exactly the same application - tailpipe hanger. New Simons sport exhaust system started rattling about 4-5 months after installation. Investigation showed missing do-nut on the OEM style tail pipe hanger hanger. No local vendors had correct do-nuts so I ordered two new ones (replacement and spare - pretty smart right?) from VP or CVI or whoever. The first new one snapped on installation and the spare disappeared a couple of months later.

At that point I said enough and switched the support to a flexible strap type hanger which has been 'hanging on' fine for about 6 years. The interesting thing is that the Simons exhaust system uses rubber suspension do-nuts for the whole system. The do-nuts for the mufflers are not circular in cross section, more of a wide flattened ellipse. Those do-nuts show no signs of deterioration. Its only the do-nuts with the smaller circular cross section like in your photo that have been problematic for me.

Short answer - replace with a different style hanger or purchase a large supply of don-nuts for regular on-going maintenance.

Interesting.
I'm following your lead here. I've ordered 5 donuts off Ebay and will keep a close eye, but have no problem with changing to a "better" non-std. part if it's safer and more long-lived.

next time you're under the back of your car could you show me a snap of the "flexible strap" please. Thanks in advance.

amazon69 Feb 26th, 2023 10:23

These work very well.

Derek UK Feb 26th, 2023 18:06

Those are more or less rigid and you still have to fix them to the body if they don't line up with the bumper irons. I have seen them use on a Simons rear box.
Maybe re engineer one of these. Used on S40 II, V50 and C30 and Ford focus.
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/hjs/143604...UaAsocEALw_wcB
You can probably use the block type rubbers too.

142 Guy Feb 26th, 2023 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnysoutheast (Post 2881142)
Interesting.

next time you're under the back of your car could you show me a snap of the "flexible strap" please. Thanks in advance.

It is winter here and the car is wrapped up in storage so it might be a couple of months before that happens. My strap is very much like this one except the hardware is stainless steel and the rubber strap part is just a nudge longer.

https://www.amazon.ca/Walker-36272-E...99280072&psc=1

Essentially the same thing as amazon69 suggested. I think I sourced mine from a local 'performance shop'. Any shop that fits exhaust systems will probably have something similar.

Bob 1967 Feb 26th, 2023 23:40

You could go all Redneck and wrap a bungee cord around it!!:icon_smile_lachuh:

Sunnysoutheast Feb 27th, 2023 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob 1967 (Post 2881348)
You could go all Redneck and wrap a bungee cord around it!!:icon_smile_lachuh:

Good idea. With a bit of gaffa tape and an asbestos bungee it’ll be perfect 😬