View Single Post
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 20:13   #4
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazT4 View Post
I think most have no DPF, mine doesnt. Id never buy a petrol one as im a diesel head! Diesels are much more reliable in general, need less maintenance too.
Sorry, must hand in my veto here. A diesel used to be more reliable, as they weren't high tech things like today. The 2.0d suffers from many little illnesses (lack of power as tolerances are too sloppy, EGR blocking, turbochargers going "hop", throttle body seizing, leaks in the intake system (turbo piping), holes in the intercooler, leaks in fuel system sucking in air, failing altenators leaking injectors and other things). The service requirements are higher too. More oil is needed, regular fuelfilter changes, cambelt change bla bla.

There are I think 3 issues a 1.8 or 2.0l petrol can have:
1. eratic idling (solution: clean throttle body. Costs? About £10)
2. failing coil pack (replacement costs about £40 and is fitted within seconds)
3. failing altenator (but the same problem as the 2.0d and 1.6d have)

There is nothing else on those engines to go wrong. The 2.4l is a different thing. More can go wrong (VVT, more cylinders, more coilpacks, the throttle body regularly dies, etc.).

Service demand is even lower. No cambelt (timing chain needs to be inspected after 12 years/150.000 miles - only inspected! 9 times of 10 it is left and not even touched as it doesn't cause problems), spark plugs and airfilter every 3 years/37.500 miles, and a few bits and bobs.

My service costs for my 2.0l are well below those of 2.0ds. Even without the DPF on the 2.0d, the service costs exceed those of a 2.0l petrol...

That was my veto

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post: