View Single Post
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 22:44   #93
Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenlumb67 View Post
Hi all,

Just an update - having spent 2 half days at the weekend, have finally installed the towbar to my MY13 R-design with twin exhausts. Still to do the electrics but imagine the real hard work is done now.

Undid all the exhaust mounts, including the one between the front and rear axles to allow more space between exhausts and bumper to offer up the towbar. Propped up between front and rear axles using a few weight lifting plates so that exhaust didnt drop too far (wasnt sure if it might snap from the front).

First day, trying to put the towbar in place was a real struggle as space in to its final location is tight. Found that there was sealant in the area which required trimming otherwise the towbar just wouldnt fit. Also had to make the bumper cut as it was difficult to offer up without doing this first as bumper had a thicker backing plastic that just wouldnt cut with a stanley knife; had to use a mini hacksaw. Once in, found that it was such a tight fit that it virtually held the towbar in place. Could only locate 4 of the 6 bolts.

Second day, and bit of hammering with rubber mallet and sort of bench pressing the towbar to push it up, finally located the final 2 bolts. Hard work, and whilst hammering away, did wonder why I didnt pay someone the £120 to do for me! Now its in, am pleased that I did eventually do it myself.

Definitely a 2 person job for me. Firstly lifting the towbar in place (heavy!), then pushing the bolts through whilst I was hammering away underneath, and finally to hold the bolts from above with a socket wrench whilst I tightened from below.

A big thanks to "Nigetill" on this forum for posting the additional spacers so that both my exhausts clear the towbar. Did try without the spacers and noticed one exhaust just about cleared the towbar with about 2mm to spare. The otherside was touching so thought best to install. The spacers give an extra 20mm clearance approx.

Also putting the exhaust back was awkward. Its fairly heavy so had to use a car jack to lift in to position and then tighten up.

Am only planning to fit a bike rack on the back, and is my first towbar. The Westfalia towbar is a nice piece of kit as its out of view when not in use.

Now for the electrics...

Cheers
Steve
It sounds like we have had a very similar weekend! I am also part way through fitting a Westfalia to a 2013 R-Design. The hard work is done and the wiring in place with just the final connections to the trailer module and fuse board left to do in the morning. I have fitted the bar without any exhaust spacers as my tail pipes have cut-outs in the top which line up with the bottom of the bar, giving sufficient clearance. I did make a couple of small cuts to the lower trim of the bumper as it was pressing up against the bar and also a small cut to clear the hand wheel of the detachable bit, but nothing drastic. So far so good!
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote