Thread: General: 850: - door stay repair
View Single Post
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 12:02   #16
02GF74

ok, here we go.

0. put window down
1. undo the small screw holding the connector together, trun connector cover anti-clockwise and then pull apart
2. remove torx bolt holding check strap to door pillar
3. undo two smaller torx bolts for the door hinge pins.
4. remove door - since you have the window down (step 0) you can rest the door top on your shoulder to take its weight
5. drill hole where the spot welds are - this can take some time as the welding process can harden the steel making it more difficult; I did it in 2 stages, 3mm followed by 4 mm
6. tap the holes to M5 (I chose to use M5 instead of M6 bolts)
7. fit M5 bolt with penny washer so that the slot in the panel is covered, with a dab of loctite to prevent loosening
8. optionally paint bolts and washer, then refit door, the bolts and connector.

first photo shows a drift and a small piece of wood being used to hold the check strap base in place so that it stays put when being drilled and tapped.

second photo shows after fitting and painting the bolts - notice the rag to stop the bolt falling into the gap between body and front wing (yes, it did happen but I was able to retrieve it with a stick magnet so put it in prior to trying to fit the bolt.).

we'll see if M5 bolts are adequate, if not, then I will need to drill to 5 mm and tap for M6 ..... maybe ????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01560.JPG (103.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01561.JPG (123.0 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by 02GF74; Jul 10th, 2013 at 12:07.
02GF74 is offline   Reply With Quote