View Single Post
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 01:19   #3
v40alex
I do like a V40

I couldn't post a guide in the tech section so might as well do it here, this is to change the grain of wheat bulb in a Phase 2 dash bulb to a LED. I did the 3 in the headlight switch cluster, I think the centre console bulbs are slightly different but am planning to do those too so will report back.

Original (blown) bulb

Tools required:
Pair of helping hands
Soldering iron
Solder remover
0.5mm drill

Heat the solder and remove it with the solder sucker

Use the tip of the soldering iron to bend the leg up, if your soldering skills are like mine, you'll do one absolutely perfectly and then melt the plastic on the next

Difficult to show the soldering iron in shot while doing this (need more hands) but if you put the soldering iron across the legs and quickly heat up both sides you'll be able to tease the old bulb out

I used a 0.5mm drill bit to clean out the holes in the bulb holder

These are the LEDs as mentioned in the post above, just bend out the legs and remove from the holder, they go straight in to the Volvo holder with enough space for the resistor

Trim off the excess leg leaving about 2-3mm, it doesn't matter which way in they are as the holder can be inserted both ways into the dash

Bend the legs so the bulb is tight in the holder and solder in place

New LED bulbs

Installed. Don't forget LEDs are polarity sensitive so if they don't light, take out and turn 180 degrees

They don't seem to dim with the rest of the dash though - my centre console bulbs are all working still so don't need to replace them and they do dim - has anyone got any old centre bulb holders they don't want that I can experiment with?
v40alex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to v40alex For This Useful Post: