View Single Post
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 21:36   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

I have used Amsoil and Valvoline fully synthetic products in the past and have been happy with both. Both now advertise that they comply with JWS3309, Dexron III and a range of Volvo standards. My favourite of the two is Amsoil, but only because it is a nice deep red colour!

Transmission fluid tends to be backwards compatible with earlier, similar specifications. I think some of the earlier GM Dexron specs have been withdrawn now so anything advertising itself as Dexron II is unlikely to have been actually accredited recently. By the way, prior to 1984 Volvo recommended Ford Type F fluid in the AW70/71. The dichotomy over standards may well be due to BorgWarner gradually reducing their stake in the collaboration.

I personally do a change in one hit using the cooler line method, but then I have never neglected changes. However, there is a lot of sage advice from others on here to tackle the change more gradually. This is likely to be a good idea if your existing fluid is black and burnt or has never previously been changed.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post: