Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2024, 10:39   #6397
Othen
Premier Member

Default Seriously?

Now this one really is a ‘Seriously?’:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156190343...mis&media=COPY

… £17,000 for a 240! Okay, the parts fitted are like a wish list from the custom car sweet shop: Rover V8, 5 speed gearbox… the list goes on. On the negative side it remains a 136,000 mile, 39 year old (so tax exempt next April - good) cooking motor car.

The seller says he has spent £60,000 on the 240 over the past 5 years, that may be the case, but is it worth £17,000 now? I suppose that depends entirely upon one perspective. It is nowhere near original, and it is a bit too good to use without it losing its show condition status, so what is the potential market? For £17,000 one could buy a much better sports car (say a 10 year old Porsche Boxster), a very nice luxury car (any number of Jaguar, BMW, MB) or a brand new hatchback, all of which would be much more reliable, safer and either faster or more economical (maybe both). What market remains? Someone with considerable expendable income and garage space that is perhaps interested in trailering the motor car to shows in Lincolnshire farmers’ fields? There is one other possibility of course: someone setting out to build the ultimate parts-bin 240 (they appear in these pages from time to time - I can think of a few offhand) - for that person spending £17,000 on this motor car would be a far cheaper way of achieving the aim without bothering to do the work.

My own opinion (as if that matters) is this 240 is gauche - I’d feel a bit embarrassed - so it certainly isn’t one for me.

I can’t help thinking the seller may be one of us from this excellent forum - I do hope I have not in any way offended him/her.

Last edited by Othen; May 10th, 2024 at 10:41. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: