View Single Post
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 18:27   #30
wadhurstdaisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadhurstdaisy View Post
Just thought I'd post a brief update.

My General Grabbers have now done 13k miles approx and currently have 5mm even wear across the front pair and 6mm even wear across the rear pair. Tyres have always been run on 'eco' settings.

They were rotated front to back at 4k miles, 8.5k miles and today at 13k miles. Four wheel laser-alignment was performed when the tyres were fitted 13k miles ago.

I feel they are slightly noisier that the OE Continentals or the Nokian NRVs I fitted at 18-20k miles but not excessively so. Wet & Snow weather performance was good for an all-rounder tyre with my grabber shod XC90 conquering roads that friends continental shod XC90s couldn't cope with.

My only grumble would be that compared to the Nokian NRVs my car got 2-3 mpg worse. I had hoped that this would improve as the tyres got worn down however so far so bad.

Driving style is smooth albeit progressive with majority done on 'A' roads and fast-flowing 'B' roads and occasional (once or twice a month) motorway use. Top speed usually between 60-70mph to help economy, achieving 29-30 mpg in normal use and 32-33mpg on long journey / motorway use.

I would certainly consider fitting grabbers again on current performance.

Dave.
Another update with 17.5k miles on the Grabbers; 4mm tread across all four tyres so didn't rotate again. Still no improvement in fuel economy so I guess a range of 29 - 33 depending on actual use is what they will give.

On the basis that 1mm has given me 4.5k miles approx since the last update I should in theory get another 10k miles at least out of them however I'll probably call it a day and get some new ones fitted before we get snow again.

I would certainly recommend these tyres to anyone considering them though just be aware that compared to something like the Nokian NRVs there will a penalty to pay at the pump.

Dave.
wadhurstdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote