View Single Post
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 10:26   #9
Christerart
VOC Member

I remember when Sweden made it mandatory that cars had dipped headlights on 24/7.

The reason was - after several years study - that the cars that ran with the headlights on were involved in 50% less accidents.

To me - whatever the extra cost of replacing bulbs more often - I feel being seen better *might* just save me from an accident - and perhaps an increase in my insurance costs - not to mention damage to the car, hassle getting it fixed and more importantly - someone got hurt - a cyclist that did not see me coming for example.

I made this a rule for myself and my drivers - lights on 24/7 - when I had my trucking company in the US - and none of my trucks or myself were ever involved in any accidents involving other motorists or cyclists or pedestrians.

Sure, there were the "normal" stuff like drivers hitting a rail or scraping a door while backing a trailer into a tight spot - getting a windscreen blown out by an exploding tire on the truck in front - stuff like that - but otherwise a clean record.

I'm talking millions and millions of miles here.

No way I would disconnect the running lights.
The Following User Says Thank You to Christerart For This Useful Post: