View Single Post
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 19:24   #16
DavidG

Default oil level going up

I am not sure if the electronic oil gauge was only introduced on the new 2010 175 engines as I had the same problem when I collected my new 2.4S Geartronic in July. Having had a BMW with an electronic gauge I could not understand how to check the oil level with no conventional dipstick. What was more confusing was that the handbook showed a conventional dipstick but I could not find one on on my engine. I came across the electronic display by chance one day sitting in the car.
I think the process is similar for geartronic or manual types - this is how to do it-sit in the car shut doors to avoid any extra warnings leave gear selector in park or neutral on manuals, insert key do not put foot on brake or clutch for manuals and then press start button for about three seconds you should then get a display in right hand instrument similar to fuel gauge display.
I am surprised how this has been missed in the handbooks, I even had to show my local dealer how it worked as they did not know about it !
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote