Thread: Engine: D5: - S60 D5 Intercooler and Black Smoke
View Single Post
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 21:54   #9
Dean Barlow

Default Volvo s60 D5 smoking.

Hello
Im new to these sites, and i am only twenty one years old but, yes i do drive a Volvo s60 D5 SE and do you know what? i wouldnt drive anything else after buying one.

Ive had the car for exactly two years this weekend its a 53 plate and i havent had any problems with it apart from these past few months.I know a bit about cars myself.when it started smoking badly i was slightly concerned.There was no power loss or anything so i couldnt understand.I took the car to a friend of mine who used to be a mechanic for the police constantly fixing the T5's he suggested changing the egr valve first.I did this and nothing changed.My next option was to change the injectors.Instead of changing the lot i checked every injector and saw one was slightly damp at the bottom which injectors shouldnt be so therfore i changed it but to no avail.I then managed to get hold of a computer to plug it in.This showed up the turbo boost control valve was knackered.I changed that and again,exactly the same.The car had by this point started going into limp mode and i wasnt getting no turbo until 2500rpm.Id got to the point where i thought i need to pull the car apart and find out exactly what was going on rather than keep spending money after money on it.We put the car on the ramps and on going up them i could here a hissing noise from the front of the car.It never made this noise revving it stood still it was only when the engine was under load.I then found the intercooler had warped down and was leaking air when under pressure.....Intercooler changed,problem solved once and for all..
Dean Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote