Thread: Door opens
View Single Post
Old Mar 19th, 2015, 15:37   #4
tarhoosier

Default Door unlock and unlatch while driving

This situation has happened to quite a few Volvo owners, including me. I researched online and found several on volvo forums who reported it, most C70, though not all. In my case it happened four times, always with the top down, though I know not if that is a cause, only a relationship. Scared the wife who was unwilling to ride in the car since it was passenger door.
I contacted Volvocars.us and they said take it to dealer. Dealer communicated with Volvo repair tech rep and after several fixes such as door alignment, door lubrication and code retrieval, finally decided to replace the door latch mechanism in both doors. This was a warranty repair last month and I have had top down several times since then with no repeat. The issue happened before randomly, so I cannot say for certain it is repaired properly though I believe it to be.
There are also a few comments on the NHTSA (US) government site about this issue. No recall and no codes thrown when it happens, only a "door open" message on dash screen. The safety latch prevents the door from swinging open. The safety latch is just that. It must be pulled by hand to operate the complete mechanical release of the door latch.
tarhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote