View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2012, 19:10   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

I have used TomTom products for years until recently, the newer products just don't cut the mustard any longer for a number of reasons:

HD Traffic Live in the UK has been chopped from a 100 mile radius to around 40 which simply isn't enough.

Costly map upgrades when compared to Garmin, also TomTom offer products in the USA for example with free map upgrades for life, not in the UK though.

Their "wonderful" "MapShare" scheme, which is, in principle a great innovative idea but through poor implementation is little more than a "Map Degradation Scheme" IMHO (this is based upon hard experiance of trying to use it) - Long since given up on MapShare)

Integration with Twitter, FaceBook etc. What a joke a Nav unit is for guidance while driving a vehicle, having the ability to access such IM systems while in the car isn't something I agree with at all.

Combine the above points with a pathetic computer application (MyTomTom, which amazingly is worse than the previous TomTom Home PC Software) which you are forced to use to update anything on the newer devices and that was enough for me to jump ship.

I bought a Garmin 3790T about two years ago, it works well and the lifetime map update is for the life of the product, as long as it keeps going I will get new maps every three months. The unit is installed on a Brodit mount rather than the supplied windscreen sucker as this provides a neater installation with no cables in view, this is something I used to do with the TomTom units as I hate windscreen sucker mounts - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post: