Thread: Engine: D52447: - Petrol in a diesel car – misfueling.
View Single Post
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 19:18   #8
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Parish View Post
It sounds like your hard work paid off!

A few years ago I bought an ex company car (Peugeot 406 diesel) with the complete service history on a print out which showed that the previous user had twice put petrol in and twice the whole fuel system had been changed at a massive cost.

As far as I know, putting diesel in a petrol just causes loads of smoke until the engine stops, then after everything is flushed out its all ok again.
In the mid 1980s while on a cross country trip, I put diesel in a 1981 petrol 4-cyl carburetted Pontiac Phoenix. My wife noticed what I was doing and alerted me after I had delivered maybe 6 gal of diesel into the ~14-gal tank. I filled it up the rest of the way with premium petrol, and we just went on our way. As I recall the engine knocked a little under even moderate accelerator pressure, so I drove with a light foot. I filled up again with premium when the tank got to near half full and I think the knocking stopped. There was seemingly no damage to the engine because the car went for years and years after that.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote