Thread: Engine: D52447: - Petrol in a diesel car – misfueling.
View Single Post
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 12:01   #10
Gravy

Default Unleaded Fuel Ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim314 View Post
In the mid 1980s while on a cross country trip, I put diesel in a 1981 petrol 4-cyl carburetted Pontiac Phoenix. My wife noticed what I was doing and alerted me after I had delivered maybe 6 gal of diesel into the ~14-gal tank. I filled it up the rest of the way with premium petrol, and we just went on our way. As I recall the engine knocked a little under even moderate accelerator pressure, so I drove with a light foot. I filled up again with premium when the tank got to near half full and I think the knocking stopped. There was seemingly no damage to the engine because the car went for years and years after that.

What percent of petrol in diesel fuel can a diesel engine run on, and without damage?
This is an old bushy fix

Not sure of the exact ratio, however many sets of injectors have been cleaned by adding unleaded fuel into a diesel fuel tank. Believe the usual methodology is to not exceed 10% of the the total volume.

Unleaded creates a hotter fuel ignition temperature therefore burning away carbon deposits, cant comment on the long term effects of this process.
Gravy is offline   Reply With Quote