Thread: G/box: AW50151AWD: - XC90 Gearbox - change gearbox oil or not ??
View Single Post
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 20:29   #1
gasc2188

Default XC90 Gearbox - change gearbox oil or not ??

Just wondered if anybody knew a definitive answer to this one. My gearbox oil on my 2005 XC90 D5 (auto) was a brown'ish colour and I made the decision to change it. I opted for Amsoil which i saw lots of postive feeback on this site for. I changed the oil using the "Gibbons" method and all was well.

I then needed to take my car to the dealer regarding something totally unconnected. I got talking to the service manager and mentioned the gearbox oil and the fact I had changed the oil. "FATAL MISTAKE" he said. In fact I can still hear his voice now :-(

Since then I have been paranoid about the gearbox and thinking it may pack up on me at any time. I must say the gear change is smooth with no strange noises.......but one thing is worrying me. When I come to a stop and the XC is stationary, I remain static by keeping me foot on the footbrake (albeit the car is still in drive). If I'm correct doesnt this disengage the gearbox. When I come to move off, if I take my foot off the brake and immediately acclelerate without waiting a second for the gearbox to engage, there is a bit of a jolt in the take off. Alternatively if i take my foot off the brake and give it a second for the gearbox to engage, the take off is smooth.

Is this normal or is something wrong? With regards the oil change, Volvo seem to think this is a bad idea....whose right and whose wrong. They said by changing the gearbox oil, its like adding new anti freeze into a cooling system with flaws i.e. the new stuff will find all the problems.

Any advice pleeeease. Am i just a paranoid XC90 driver or have I got to start saving for a repair bill sometime soon?
gasc2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasc2188 For This Useful Post: