Thread: V70 Wheels/Tyres: - Tyre pressure?
View Single Post
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 09:51   #5
jadatis

The advice for up to 100m/h is the reference- speed for most tyre-speed codes.
Up to V the maximum load is calculated for the reference-pressure and the reference-speed of 160km/100m/h. for lower loads then maximum, the needed pressure is calculated with a formula, using this reference-maxload, R-pressure, and reference speed, and the assumed real load on the tyre.

I once got hold of this formula, and worked it out in spreadsheets.
Next link leads to my public map of skydrive, where also many English maps about tyre-pressure, even a map in wich I combine a new formula of J.C.Daws with the conventional power-formula , to one wich, to my opinion, comes closest to the ever to be constructed ideal formula.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=a526e...E092E6DC%21128
Download spreadsheets by clicking on the I in a circle at the end of the line, then in the right barr click download, Open in Excell or compatible program to use it. If you click wrong, the browser will try to open it, but cant handle some things I used in it.

But now your question. The advice is given nowadays for maximum load , so if you drive 110m/h with only driver and a little load, the lower load compensates the higher speed, so you can keep to the advices of up to 160km/99m/h.
Tyrepressure-advice is as you see , all about Load on the tyre, and a little bit about speed. Also the alighnment in the form of the camber angle( tyres not so |-| on the axle , but so /-\) plays a little role but mostly below 2 degrees so not needed.

If you play with my recalculating spreadsheet, the highening up for higher speed can be used too, but also you will see how low you can go for lesser load and speed.

Greatings from Holland
Peter

Last edited by jadatis; Nov 7th, 2011 at 09:56.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote