View Single Post
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 10:37   #37
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Gaz, before I respond to your points raised I'll just say that if you read what I have written properly, then I was talking about diesels as a whole and across all manufacturers and all models - I was being generic! Unlike yourself who is being specific with your particular model and engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazT4 View Post
Can i just say, youve said petrol/diesel servicing costs are the same (even though you have again quoted glow plugs, why?? They DO NOT get changed!!) then added that the 'common' problems are what makes the diesel more expensive over a lifetime..
You may have been lucky on your particular car but many people DO have to change their glow plugs and glow plugs DO fail. Your argument can be turned right round and we could say petrols do not need spark plugs changing unless they fail, there millions of people who don't service their car and their spark plugs last for 10+ years, infact the vehicles normaly die from some other reason and the spark plugs soldier on.

Quote:
The 'common' problems were DMF, which i agree do occasionally go wrong, but both on petrol and diesel and on any make/model that has one.
I also noted it can happen to both petrol and diesel but I'm sure you'll find the majority of DMF's that fail are on diesels over petrols and certainly often enough to warrant a mention as a common fault on a diesel.

Quote:
The fuel pump, which ive never actually seen one fail on a Volvo although it appears more common on Mondeos somehow (different pump maybe?).
Believe me diesel fuel pumps can and do fail. I sincerely hope yours never fails on you but if it did the cost to fix is astronomical on a diesel and only about 1/10th of the cost on a petrol.

Quote:
Swirl flaps? Where? Not on a 2.0D!
Like I said above I was being generic, your model may not have them but other makes and models do, they are a very common problem and again cost to fix.

Quote:
Again, im on 153000miles and have original DMF, Fuel Pump and Turbo.
Your doing well so far and long may it continue but eventually you will encounter these expenses or will have got rid of the vehicle. It doesn't take away from their possibilty and more probability to fail at some point.

Quote:
You forgot to mention the most important thing- fuel economy. 50mpg in a diesel.
I did mention fuel, I believe it was the second sentence. I completely concur that most diesels are better for economy but given it can cost thousands of pounds more in the first place to purchase then you are already on the back foot and have a lot of economy catching up to do. This covers your tax difference point too.

Quote:
Tax- Low band and cheap for a diesel.
Like in my original text, I am on top of the fence and love both petrol and diesels, have both in the household and prior to my current T5 have had nothing but diesels for the last 10+ years. I don't need to be sold on the benifits and pitfalls of either but at the same time i'm not disillutioned to possible costs and very common problems of a modern diesel. Tollerences are being pushed further and further to attain targets and magical figures and boost pressures are increased - it all takes it toll.

Last edited by SonyVaio; Apr 14th, 2012 at 10:42.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post: