View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2012, 20:34   #4
Rover Saloon

Default Change bushes or the entire arm?

Have gone both ways and make the following observations.
Replacing the entire arm is pretty straightforward and is well documented in the Haynes manual as well as on this forum.
Changing the bushes is more tricky - you need access to a very wide opening engineer's vice - about 25cm or so. You also need some pipe that is perfectly cut at right angles and exactly the correct diameter to act as a drift to push the old bushes out. I was lucky to have access to a lathe so turned the pipe to precisely the right diameter. Forget washing up liquid/WD40; these fellas are in damn tight and need a fair bit of force to push them out. However, with the equipment I have mentioned above, I had no problem.

I replaced with genuine Volvo bushes which brings me onto the final point.

There is a hell of a lot of utter crap out there both as arms and bushes. If you decide to go the bush route, get the best - it's worth it in the long run. The same goes for the arms but you are talking about a fair bit of cash. Avoid Scanteck like the plague - utter sh*t.
Let me know if you need any more detailed advice once you have decided which way to go.
Rover Saloon is offline   Reply With Quote