View Single Post
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 17:22   #8
Dingle232

I think that's my dilemma to be honest. The car has a full Volvo Service History and has been very well looked after so I am keen to extend its life as much as possible. It's done 54k miles so I'm looking to keep it another couple of years.

There seems to be a very split opinion on whether the vacuum type devices actually do a good enough job - some say yes, some no.

Having just paid £92 for new oil I'm not thrilled at the news that it may have been contaminated by oil not extracted by using the vacuum rather than draining the sump.

Would any of our knowledgable friends advise that I drain the oil again via the sump (myself!) or is it likely to be ok with the method that was used? If I drain again will it need another new filter? That's another job I haven't done before but presumably it's just a case of removing the filter housing with a hexagonal socket and removing the old one/popping a new one in?

As an aside what do Volvo dealers do? They quoted me £165 for oil and filter change - I may just get them to do it for me.

Sorry for so many questions - I just had it in my head that the service I had was good for another 12 months and it's annoying me that I may have been short changed.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Dingle232 is offline   Reply With Quote