Thread: Electrics: 850: - Fitting remote locking
View Single Post
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 05:52   #2
Hughvo

Hi Ewan

I have a MY97 850 (with the "V" year code in the VIN). When I bought it, it did not have any remote central locking. However after looking carefully into this I found out that for the 97 model 850s, Volvo changed their remote central locking system from the receiver behind the glove box system to a cut-down version of the Guard Alarm II system installed on US 850s.

This newer remote central locking had a dedicated double size relay (P/N 9177999) which is installed into a specific location in the relay base in the driver's footwell (I can post an image of where it has to go if needed). I read somewhere that this system uses one of the wires of either the boot or rear door locking motor as its antenna which gives it a better range than the older system.

There is also a dedicated fob (P/N 9442981) which opens and closes the doors using the same button. There is no alarm associated with this remote central locking system.

I checked out the cost of the relay from my local dealer here in Adelaide, South Australia and also from dealers in the UK and Sweden, but they were very very very expensive. I then checked out a very good on-line Swedish spare parts locating service (www.lagabasen.se) where, following the simple instructions (albeit in Swedish), I put in the part number (9177999) and located two Swedish wreckers that had the relay. I was able to get it shipped "down under" for AUD$85.

All I needed to do was install the relay, and using the widley available fob programming instructions (switching ignition key to position II at least five times in 10 secs etc etc) I was able to program the relay to the 9442981 fob, which I had bought brand new but they available on ebay, but you must carefully check the part number to make sure it is the 9442981 fob.

I see you mention your 850 is a 96 - do you mean it was built in 96 (like mine was even though mine is a MY97) or a MY96 with a "T" year code)? I would check to see if the age letter of your VIN is a "V", and if so this makes it a MY97 and you could use the 9177999/9442981 relay/fob combination to get you your central locking. If however you have an earlier year, I can't say if the above will work or not.

Regards

Hughvo

Last edited by Hughvo; Jul 13th, 2007 at 05:55.
Hughvo is offline   Reply With Quote