Thread: Engine: D5: - Clagged up swirl flaps
View Single Post
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 13:35   #6
PeteB1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbsxc90 View Post
Swirl flaps can be a pain, If anyone has a 150bhp vectra diesel they are prone for the same problem, but require new inlet manifold (lancia/fiat engine). At least it seems that volvos can be cleaned/repaired. Not had any dealings with this yet but shall look out for it.
Yes, I had that engine before my current XC. Mine didn't suffer the manfold problem, pehaps partly because I cleaned out the EGR valve and associated trunking every 10k miles after 45k miles. Fiat themselves introdued a modified EGR-Inlet manifold gasket designed to resrict the EGR gasflow which also helped. Vauxhall never themselves sold the modified gasket but I used the Fiat one. These issues were/are well discussed on the Vectra-C forum along with various user designed fixes, both for EGR flow and prolonging the life of a failing swirl actuator system.

I haven't cleaned the EGR system yet on my D5 as it doesn't seem so easy to do as the Fiat based system was. That may just be because it doesn't seem as widley discussed on these forums though as the 1.9CDTi was on the various forums for models that engine was used in.

My D5 had the 'official' plastic actuator rod fix done before I had it but nothing else.

At least neither is as bad as another manufacturer who's engines seemed at one time to suffer from ingestion of the actual swirl flaps through the inlet valves!