Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

An XC90 dilemma

Views : 1552

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 21:41   #1
wickywoo

Default An XC90 dilemma

Hi all,

Have recently worked out what my expanding family needs is the big one, but not sure what will cost me less over the next 2/3 years before the new XC90 appears. From current design cues I reckon the replacement will be a great car and at that point think would px the car i get shortly and buy new. Question is what to do now...

I've been quite good in recent years in buying cars at the right age/mileage compromise to have trouble free motoring and lowest possible depreciation. It is (I think) about getting "in" then "out" at the right mileage. I've also noticed that models produced the last year of so a car's life depreciate more heavily as the replacement model is more tempting and this really hammers the price of the old one even though the cars may be just 6 months different in age. Hope this makes sense!

I know from having bought cars at about 60,000 mile that for the next two years things get expensive - stuff wears out / needs changing / can fail (brake discs, cambelts, shock absorbers) so I reckon either (i) buy low mileage or (ii) high mileage where all this work (ideally) just done by the seller.

In summary, I think I will do one of the following:

1. Buy a 100,000+ miler for circa £9k and cross my fingers
2. Buy a brand new D5 for £27k ish
3. A 2006, 20,000 mile example (good for another 36,000 with nothing wearing out?) for c. £17,500.

But which? Any thoughts?? Am looking for an automatic diesel by the way
wickywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 22:05   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

option 1 . you can do an awful lot of repairs for £18000 :-)
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:58   #3
CSS-Enterprise

I'd suggest buying used or new from a Main dealer so the car has a warranty and then renewing the warranty every year. I did this with a BMW once and it saved a lot of hassle/money.

It had to have a new gearbox and several replacement Sat Nav's among several other issues. It was 2yrs old when I bought it 22k on the clock and I sold it at 5yrs and 66k miles.

I did the same with Audi, but they were hard work. They quibbled everything.
CSS-Enterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 08:31   #4
The Painter

The replacement XC90 is not a confirmed model yet, there have been speculations about late 2011 early 2012 but nothing definate.

For what its worth I would go for the new, available with good disconts still so depretiation shouldn`t be too harsh and you will have the luxury of the 3 year warranty ensuring no further maintenance bills.

I have owned high mileage cars in the past and they can be a pain, 100,000 miles of wear on all components is a lot and in my opinion is likely to lead to big bills.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Painter For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 13:20   #5
Britsud
Anycolouraslongasitsblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickywoo View Post
Hi all,

Have recently worked out what my expanding family needs is the big one, but not sure what will cost me less over the next 2/3 years before the new XC90 appears. From current design cues I reckon the replacement will be a great car and at that point think would px the car i get shortly and buy new. Question is what to do now...

I've been quite good in recent years in buying cars at the right age/mileage compromise to have trouble free motoring and lowest possible depreciation. It is (I think) about getting "in" then "out" at the right mileage. I've also noticed that models produced the last year of so a car's life depreciate more heavily as the replacement model is more tempting and this really hammers the price of the old one even though the cars may be just 6 months different in age. Hope this makes sense!

I know from having bought cars at about 60,000 mile that for the next two years things get expensive - stuff wears out / needs changing / can fail (brake discs, cambelts, shock absorbers) so I reckon either (i) buy low mileage or (ii) high mileage where all this work (ideally) just done by the seller.

In summary, I think I will do one of the following:

1. Buy a 100,000+ miler for circa £9k and cross my fingers
2. Buy a brand new D5 for £27k ish
3. A 2006, 20,000 mile example (good for another 36,000 with nothing wearing out?) for c. £17,500.

But which? Any thoughts?? Am looking for an automatic diesel by the way
£17.500 is a good buy for that milage and year Just recomend get the highest spec you can,will make a big differance when you do come to sell, have a look on the web see which models are rare also obviously if you are borrowing money to fund new also look at the interest alongside the depreciation that can be staggering ? Also dont worry about warranty a comprehensive 2 year warranty is available for £500 ,

Good Luck
2008my xc90 sport,Polestar 205bhp, Flip down DVD, Full intergrated phone volvo on call, RTI Satnav full post code, privacy glass, Winter pack, Family pack, calcite soft leather, .Bi-xenon active headlights, Brembo discs Redstuff Pads.
Britsud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 15:18   #6
artwilliam

I really don't agree that 100k mile cars these days should be seen as anymore troublesome than say a 60k miler - in fact sometimes a higher mileage car which has been blasting up and down the motorway is a better bet than a low mileage town pottering one.
The XC90 is pretty bullet proof and the D5 engine should be good for at least 200k
artwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 21:11   #7
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

There is someone on the high milage register with 353,750 miles on their D5.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 22:46   #8
wickywoo

Thanks all, food for thought espicially your point Britsud re extending the warranty.

At the moment I'm edging towards a 3 year old car with say 30,000 miles, run it up to 65,000 in three years then sell. Having said that, there's deals on presently I see for Active models with £6k deposit and £299 a month!

That said.....I ran a Saab 9000 once from 135,000 miles to 198,000 with no problems having spent £2k when I got it replacing some worn items. Thing I don't like about high milers is that they can feel a bit "baggy" and/or the trim goes to pieces - is this the case with the XC90?

Dont want to get too anal about this but I'm also going to work out Britsud's other steer of interest v. depreciation.

Had a good look at a new one this afternoon at the local stealer, they are fantastic family wagons and I dont know why, but the swedes do the most comfortable seats in the business...
wickywoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 15:15   #9
PsYcHe

I picked up a 92k 55 plate with FSH and t/belt, tensioners and stuff done by the dealer. Not a single niggle out of it so far (6 months), and whilst I've not tested the AWD properly, it does seem to be working from seat of the pants feel (bit of slip from the front then back starts to push round). If it's in good nick, I'd pocket the extra cash and buy a used one.
PsYcHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 19:08   #10
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

As they are discounted so heavily new look carefully at prices through drive the deal. This will give an idea of maximum discounts available then negotiate similar price if possible with local dealer.

I have always bought new cars and kept them for 8-10 years - it works out much less expensive than many people think

consider new car advantages
1] car is in mint condition with no blemishes or signs of wear and you can keep it that way
2] 9-11k discounts available on xc90
3] no worries at all for three years with repairs
4] cosumables such as tyres - exhausts - brakes - wiper blades etc are all new
5] No one else has had a chance to abuse it !
6] New cars have such a feel good factor which lasts for years if you keep it looking 'as new'
7] One owner from new cars fetch a premium price when sold on
8] Statiscally less chance of a breakdown or failure - so owning the car is more of a pleasure

Thats my thoughts on it but on the upside for older XCs - the pre DPF diesel engines use less fuel and are pretty much trouble free.

Clan is absolutely right when he says 10 - 20k pays for a lot of repairs - I just would not enjoy the hassle of visiting the repair shop and of course it will have a lower resale value.
Good luck with your Quest for value !!

Last edited by chunderground; Sep 4th, 2010 at 19:14.
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote