Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do I need Valve protection

Views : 2903

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2012, 09:03   #1
bublnsqueak

Default Do I need Valve protection

Hi,

Just bought a 2002 V70 XC with 130,000 miles - very happy with it.

It had a BRS LPG system installed at 101,000 miles. From my researches valve recession problems can start to appear about now.

I also get the impression that this is not a problem on this motor, but could someone confirm this please? Now would seem to be the time to fit a flashlube system if required.

Thanks in advance
Paul
bublnsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 19:24   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Paul,

if it was needed then now would be to late as the damage would be done.

2002 models are fine provided the system is fitted and setup correctly.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 22:44   #3
ambit

Wink

You dont need it. Just made arrangements for my mates V8 Cayenne to be converted and its been completed now, ive had several cars with LPG over the years ST220 04 V70R (current) BMW X5's all on LPG - none of them had flashlube kits installed. I asked the installer who is the best ive found and wouldnt trust any car to anyone else if the Cayenne would need it, and he said no. You would think he would be saying 'yes' and trying to sell the flashlube system as well as a supplier! But he's not like that. Just goes to show.
ambit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ambit For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 20:06   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Are you aware that the Cayenne is on the UKLPG list of cars that can need valve lube? Profess have nothing to do with UKLPG so would not have access to the information.....
Old Jun 11th, 2012, 19:45   #5
CliffHeaton

Not necessary. My ex 960 (rust in peace) had lpg convert for 5 years to my knowledge without any additional lubrication. My first litre of lpg was 38p
CliffHeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 13:32   #6
volvobaggen

What ambit writes is the same thing my lpg installer told me.

I brought up the VSR topic and started talking about older volvos having hardened valve seats. He said VSR in general was not an issue, and also said volvos werent particulary good engines to convert. Contrary to all information I have read on the internet, he told me japanese and american cars where the best to convert, fuel economy wise.

When I protested, he said that VSR was not an issue due to lpg here in Norway containing waxes from the refinery if I understood him correctly.

Anyways, my installer did a good job, and he has tons of customers. But Im not sure if I believe the stuff about waxes and other pollutants in the lpg protecting the valve seats.
volvobaggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 20:57   #7
BrianH
VOC Member

Default lpg valve lub.

I converted my B200E at 155k miles and the No.2 exhaust valve failed at 403k miles.

Just a standard Groot natral asperation convertion which paid for itself in 22 months, 12 years ago.

Brianh
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 21:47   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvobaggen View Post
What ambit writes is the same thing my lpg installer told me.

I brought up the VSR topic and started talking about older volvos having hardened valve seats. He said VSR in general was not an issue, and also said volvos werent particulary good engines to convert. Contrary to all information I have read on the internet, he told me japanese and american cars where the best to convert, fuel economy wise.

When I protested, he said that VSR was not an issue due to lpg here in Norway containing waxes from the refinery if I understood him correctly.

Anyways, my installer did a good job, and he has tons of customers. But Im not sure if I believe the stuff about waxes and other pollutants in the lpg protecting the valve seats.
The oils that are in LPG do nothing to help lubricate the valves or protect them from microwelding. The only thing the oil and other contaminents will do is gum up your solenoid valves and injectors.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 21:52   #9
capt jack
VOC Member

Old Volvo engines - red blocks and pre-Ford 5-pot engines make excellent LPG conversions, without the need for lube systems.

I understand that newer Ford-era Volvo engines are likely to need lube systems, but a reputable installer (Classicswede for one) will be able to give you the definitive word.

LPG is widely used in Japan for the taxis there I understand, although I was told by my installer that their experience was that Japanese engines tend to get wear problems, and that Ford engines do too.

Again, if I remember correctly (it was 8 years ago that my V70 was done!) Saabs, Vauxhalls and Rover engines did OK on LPG, but Mercs could have ECU compatibility problems.

My V70 has now done well over 260,000 in all, 210,000 on LPG, and it still runs fine.

The cars you tend to see with conversions at the pumps tend to be Volvos, Discoveries, BMWs and Vauxhalls.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 22:01   #10
volvobaggen

Yes, that was what I thought classicswede. Pollution in form of longer carbon chains that will not evaporate and gums up the system.

What was weird is that the guy who converted my car seemed very experienced, he has a ton of diplomas and courses. I read about him in old newspaper articles, he even modifies diesel engines in large semi-trailer trucks, etc. That he doesnt care about VSR is odd.
volvobaggen is offline   Reply With Quote