Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Managing stored locations in Sensus Navigation system

Views : 7176

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2014, 14:29   #1
Julianpms
VOC Member

Default Managing stored locations in Sensus Navigation system

Hi,
I have recently taken delivery of a V60 D4 R-Design, my first Volvo. I have some questions regarding adding and managing stored locations in the Sensus Navigation system.
I have a set of about 200 locations in a .gpx file. When I try to import these from a USB key, I can import them using one of the default categories for stored locations (e.g. Personal) and they show up OK in the navigation options and on the map.
Ideally, however, I would like to create a specific category with its own name and choose an icon from the drop-down list. (It's likely in future that I will want to add other sets of locations.) Sensus lets me create the category and choose an icon, and apparently imports the data OK. But the category doesn't show up as an option in the "Navigate to" menus or to display on the maps. Does anyone have any insights?
For now, I am left with a couple of categories in the "Import from USB" list, but apparently no data in them, and I can't see any way to delete the categories. Any ideas?
Finally, when I choose to look at the "Information" about the stored locations I did add (in the "Personal" category) or Volvo's default POI, I can see that there are fields for the phone number and website, which could be used in conjunction with a Bluetooth-connected phone and Sensus Connect. However, I can't find any documentation on how to prepare and format the data so that these extra fields (and not just latitude, longitude and name) are imported. Does anyone know how to go about this, or of any detailed documentation?
I am reasonably familiar with GPS software and have successfully added custom POI (with phone dialling enabled) to a BMW system, but can't find as much information on line for Volvo's Sensus system.
Thanks a mil for any suggestions!
Julian.
Julianpms is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Julianpms For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 21:30   #2
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Sorry, I don't know the answer - didn't really think about moving locations in that way, sounds like a good way to avoid re-entering a bunch of stuff.

.....has got me wondering about backing up the locations to a USB if that is possible. For some future point when someone stuffs it up with an upgrade!!
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 22:56   #3
K5 Gus

A quick look at the Navigation manual pdf ( which I assume you have seen ) acknowledges that it doesn't go into full details in this area and suggests speaking to your local Volvo dealer !!

Best of luck if you try that, wouldn't hold my breath though !!
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 10:01   #4
Julianpms
VOC Member

Well, my dealer didn't even know you could add your own locations, so I think this is probably beyond his ken! If the good folks here don't have any suggestions, I'll probably contact the Volvo France press office directly; I do some writing and translating on motoring subjects and have a French motoring press card.
Cheers,
Julian.
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 10:26   #5
ChatsV60

Found it

Page 45 of the pdf manual it's in search by stored locations.
Just tried it deleting the Other folder which I have been trying to get rid of.

I went to Select Destinations
Clicked on Stored Locations
Clicked Other
Clicked on first item in list
then Delete All

Backing up page 71 import/export

Hope this helps

Last edited by ChatsV60; Oct 21st, 2014 at 10:32.
ChatsV60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChatsV60 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 11:27   #6
Skippyuk

A bit of research should figure it out. Establishing the different .*** file formats that different Navigation Systems use.

Try creating one for each format not just .GPX files. No doubt the code used will be the same as another manufacturer who might have better documentation. It's trial and error on which one though.

Only guessing

Last edited by Skippyuk; Oct 21st, 2014 at 14:15.
Skippyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 12:55   #7
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyuk View Post
It's trail and error on which one though.
heh heh - only if you get lost, I'd stick to roads......
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 14:13   #8
Julianpms
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatss60 View Post
Found it

Page 45 of the pdf manual it's in search by stored locations.
Just tried it deleting the Other folder which I have been trying to get rid of.

I went to Select Destinations
Clicked on Stored Locations
Clicked Other
Clicked on first item in list
then Delete All

Backing up page 71 import/export

Hope this helps
Thanks. I understand what you are suggesting and can see how to follow that for all the entries I added in the Personal category. My problem is that when I go to Stored Locations (your second step) the category I created doesn't appear at all, only the default Personal category.
I called Volvo France's general customer support line this morning, but they just sent me back to my dealer ... Ho-hum.
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 14:17   #9
Julianpms
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyuk View Post
A bit of research should figure it out. Establishing the different .*** file formats that different Navigation Systems use.

Try creating one for each format not just .GPX files. No doubt the code used will be the same as another manufacturer who might have better documentation. It's trail and error on which one though.

Only guessing
Thanks. The research I've done on a mix of US and UK sites definitely confirms that .gpx is the format to use for the Sensus system, and the fact that my import into the Personal folder worked perfectly would appear to confirm that. The .gpx data also displays fine in Bing Maps on my PC, so I think my underlying data is sound. Cheers,
Julian.
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 14:36   #10
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

The system definitely uses GPX as the format, it states that in the manual however I had the devils ob trying to make it accept routes and eventually I think I worked out that the routes needed to be in GPX 2.2 format (I did post on this her, but can't locate at present ) I was also told by Volvo that what I was trying couldn't be done - but I managed to do it!!

I then played about importing and exporting stuff, but gave up due to inconsistencies that I appeared to be hitting in the Volvo (or rather navTeq, now Nokia, but called Here ) GPX implementation.

If you get anywhere with this it will be interesting to hear what you have done
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post: