Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter issues

Views : 4433

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2010, 18:44   #1
dstuartframe
Stuart Frame

Default Winter issues

I am having two problems just now with the winter weather.

The first is that the washer jets keep freezing at temperature lower than -1 despite the fact that ther is deicer in the water.

The second is that again in temperatures lower than -1 the drivers door will open but then not lock until I have heated the catch with a hair-dryer.

Does anyone have any cures / suggestions.
dstuartframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 19:17   #2
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I have the same issue with the water jets. In the morning I pour hot water over the top of them and that melts everything and allow the screen wash to come out. I would be happy to hear of a cleverer answer as mine seems a little clumsy, effective but clumsy.

No help on the second I'm afraid.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 19:34   #3
440anator
rookie

Hi man

I hear if you spray WD40 in the lock it helps it stop freezin? an if it helps any puttin talcum powder on the rubber seals of the doors that mite help
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 15:51   #4
albertofrog

Default Winter issues - door lock

I read your post and had had no experience of the door lock / latch issue - that is until this morning. Temp was reading -1c and the door opened normally but wouldn't latch when closed - after several attempts the latch finally came back into action.

Unfortunately that didn't help me progress much further as I quickly got stuck in the 6-8 inches of snow laying on top of an inch of ice that's currently covering our street.

I'm not finding the V50 to be as strong a performer in these conditions as I'd hoped (I had to abandon the car yesterday morning - as it wouldn't make an icy gradient that seemed to be passable by most other cars except predictably anyone in a 3-series!). I've got recent Pirellis all round.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow V50.jpg (131.8 KB, 35 views)
albertofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 16:16   #5
Guru
Premier Member

Harvey1512: Don't they sell windscreen wash with a low freezing point in the UK? i use a washing liquid which freezes at -20C, i've just been out and it's -11C, i also experienced -19C just before xmas and had no similar issues, actually i melt the ice on the glass by squirting that liquid on it.

albertofrog: Does your V50 have STC or DSTC? and are those Pirellis summer or winter tyres? a few squirts of WD40 will solve the sticking latch.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 16:20   #6
albertofrog

Hi - my V50 has DTSC - which I've tried switching off and using 2nd and 3rd gear to drive through snow on the roads but with little benefit.

The Pirellis are P Zeros which I think are technically a summer tyre, albeit in the UK they are very much a standard-fit 'year round' tyre.

Will try some WD40
albertofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 19:39   #7
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
Harvey1512: Don't they sell windscreen wash with a low freezing point in the UK? i use a washing liquid which freezes at -20C, i've just been out and it's -11C, i also experienced -19C just before xmas and had no similar issues, actually i melt the ice on the glass by squirting that liquid on it.

albertofrog: Does your V50 have STC or DSTC? and are those Pirellis summer or winter tyres? a few squirts of WD40 will solve the sticking latch.
Guru - They do sell this and I use it but it is the ice that forms over the nozzle that causes the problems. Once I clear this ice, with the hot water, the liquid comes out with no problems. The ice forms from snow or frost. The screenwash itself does not freeze.

Does your screenwash have Superman style laser vision where it just stares at the ice and melts it? That would be worth buying
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 19:47   #8
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

My S40 is usesless in the snow on a gradient.

I'm stuck on my street and my S40 cannot get up a small hill. At the same time, An astra estate, Renault Megane Scenic, and a Fiat Stilo estate all made it up there fine.

My S40 just sits there and wheel spins regardless of whether I floor it or try to role up in 2nd using only the engine idling speed.

Traction Control ON and its much worse.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 19:57   #9
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I've had an absolute shocker trying to make the last 20 metres home tonight, it is a lfat stretch as well. It took 15 minutes, a spade, and me pushing the car whilst a neighbour drove. Tomorrow I am going to try my wife's Fiat 500 as I keep reading that narrow wheels are better in the snow. If it works then I will be ditching my Volvo until the "Grand Thaw" begins and pinching the Fiat. Who would have thought a Fiat would out gun a Volvo in the snow? Of course it may be equally useless.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 23:12   #10
Guru
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
Does your screenwash have Superman style laser vision where it just stares at the ice and melts it?

No Harvey, after brushing off the bigger chunks of snow off the windscreen i just squirt the screenwash, let the wipers do their four rounds, and with the engine already running I turn the blower on facing the inside of the screen and within 3-4 minutes the now blue snow and ice; coloured by the screen wash, just dissolve and start sliding down the glass.
I wouldn't pour hot water on a freezing bonnet out of fear that it might damage the paint, but that's just overprotective me.

I'm really surprised to read that so many people are having such winter issues with their Volvos. The UK weather was on the local news here yesterday so i know what you're going through, but it can not be compared to the harshness of eastern european climates... I guess it's all about preparation in advance, isn't it?
Here's my winter scheme come November:
1- Thin engine oil, preferably 0W30, but 5W30 works equally fine.
2- Diesel fuel additive to prevent water and paraffin forming, and improve lubricity.
3- Decent set of winter tyres on steel rims, in my case GoodYear UltraGrip 7+ on 16".
4- Strong well-charged battery.
5- Check engine coolant freezing point, should be under -25C
6- Winter screen wash liquid which withstands at least -20C
7- Thoroughly wax car body paying extra attention to front and rear wings, front bumper and bonnet M

If, out of necessity, i decide to go through a car wash during winter climax months then immediately afterwards, I dry off the rubber seals on all four doors + door frames + boot with a microfiber cloth and spray either WD40 or silicon oil on all door latches.

In winter I frequently use auto climate control set on 24C, especially during longer drives, it absorbs humidity and prevents windows fogging. If you enter the car with snowy shoes and/or a wet coat, they will wet the carpets and seats; with only the car heater/heated seats on, the water will evaporate and cause misting for days and weeks to come, ACC prevents this cause it sucks up that humidity from the air in the cabin.

It's been -5 to -25 during the last month or so, heaps of snow and glare ice, nevertheless i get in and out of my car, start and stop, drive up hill and down hill... all as I please without any technical issues.

A summer tyre / all year round tyre will never have sufficient traction and grip on the snow/ice to make driving safe, and hassle free. WORD!

Last edited by Guru; Jan 6th, 2010 at 23:15.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guru For This Useful Post: