Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Frozen Washer reservoir??

Views : 2324

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 18:33   #11
tommyweaves
Premier Member

I'm over here from the V70 forum but it's a common issue, just posted this FWIW:

Car serviced last week and I was charged for washer fluid but now the cold weather is here the washers froze just below zero!

Topped it up with neat additive but not much difference, so while it was unfrozen today I decided to empty the reservoir. Had to do it by squirting it all out through the jets as I didn't want to disturb any pipe connections and by the sounds of it that would be a painful job to do in the cold.

It didn't take long, despite the 4.5 litre capacity (if you have headlamp washers the tank capacity is something like 6 or 6.5 litres). I've re-filled it with neat additive so hopefully it won't freeze now.

Incidentally, the V70 thread generally dismisses the efficacy of heated nozzles; unless you've got heated pipes and reservoir as well it's kind of pointless!
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 18:41   #12
carlh

Good point on the nozzles, let us know how you get on with neat stuff. Thx
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 18:12   #13
Gumball427

Hi Carl,

Did you get it sorted in the end?

I've the same issue with my S60 at the moment.

I've checked fuses and all fine.

Headlamp washers work fine, but not the windscreen washers. Does anyone know if they operate from the same pump? I've noticed that there are seperate fuses, but not sure if they are for two pumps or not.

There is probably a weak mix in there at the moment because it had a service a couple of weeks ago and I doubt the dealer put a strong mix in, so that is probably not helping.

I had a 150 mile trip in the car today and that didn't thaw it out!

Also, is there an introductions section (I'm not after a date!) as I'm new around here, despite having this car for 18 months and two Volvos before.

Many thanks in advance

Sean
Gumball427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 18:58   #14
carlh

Hi, sorry forgot to follow up ... But yes, it seemed to be just a dilution thing. Trickle at first, one headlamp washer only, then all began working. It has now been ok (touch wood) so must have been weak dilution. I've been using 75% strength. I agree from my limited experience that long journeys do not warm it up it seems - so dilution must be the major factor.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 19:43   #15
Gumball427

Glad you got it sorted.

Was it just a case of waiting for a warmer day for thawing to take place?

Sean
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 19:46   #16
carlh

Well I bought it and drove home in -3, it started working at about -1/0 degrees - so minor warmth!
Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 09:58   #17
Gumball427

Temperature has barely got above freezing, so no surprise it still appears to be frozen.

I think I've worked out that there are two seperate pumps (one for screen, one for headlamps). I can hear the headlamp one, as this is working fine, but can't hear the windscreen one.

Does anyone know if the pump won't run if it meets resistance (i.e. frozen pipes)?

I'm starting to wonder if the actual pump is dead or frozen solid.

I need to go to the dealer in the next few days as I have "Engine Service Required" and "BLIS Service Required" coming up as messages. It was only serviced a few weeks ago, so guess they forgot to reset the message for the service (assuming that is what the "Engine" message means??). However, I don't want to go to the dealer and look an idiot if it's only frozen pipes "because it's cold sir!" that is causing the washers not to work!!

Don't want to wait until spring either though!!

Sean
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 12:09   #18
Gumball427

Well....

As way of an update...

Car is in to get the "Engine" and "BLIS" warnings sorted that came up and just had a call from the garage to say that the fault is with the washer pump as it is blocked - not covered under warranty and it's going to cost £91 to get it sorted!!!

Usually I'd do this myself, but it's too cold to be sorting this at present, and if I did it myself and the pump is faulty anyway it would then not be covered under warranty for a replacement as I would have then tampered with it.

I can accept the above, but what really winds me up is the guy from the dealers says it's my fault for putting something in there that has caused it to get blocked up and I must have put washing up liquid in it!!! They serviced it four weeks ago and if I've topped it up since (can't remember if I have or not!) it would only have been with water or a mild mix of screenwash.

Sorry, just needed to vent my frustration somewhere!!

Sean
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 20:49   #19
Choffit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumball427 View Post
Well....

As way of an update...

Car is in to get the "Engine" and "BLIS" warnings sorted that came up and just had a call from the garage to say that the fault is with the washer pump as it is blocked - not covered under warranty and it's going to cost £91 to get it sorted!!!

Usually I'd do this myself, but it's too cold to be sorting this at present, and if I did it myself and the pump is faulty anyway it would then not be covered under warranty for a replacement as I would have then tampered with it.

I can accept the above, but what really winds me up is the guy from the dealers says it's my fault for putting something in there that has caused it to get blocked up and I must have put washing up liquid in it!!! They serviced it four weeks ago and if I've topped it up since (can't remember if I have or not!) it would only have been with water or a mild mix of screenwash.

Sorry, just needed to vent my frustration somewhere!!

Sean
Is that a Volvo dealer? If so please name and shame. You haven't had it long I can't believe that A they are charging you and B they are suggesting its your fault!!!!!

Previously XC60 SE AWD 205 BHP Geartronic registered 31/12/2009
Choffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 23:57   #20
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumball427 View Post

Ibut what really winds me up is the guy from the dealers says it's my fault for putting something in there that has caused it to get blocked up and I must have put washing up liquid in it!!! They serviced it four weeks ago and if I've topped it up since (can't remember if I have or not!) it would only have been with water or a mild mix of screenwash.

Sean
Does washing up liquid cause pumps to fail, or blockages though? Anyone know why it perhaps shouldn't be used? Heard about the salt maybe being a bit of an issue?

I use proper screen wash in the Volvos, although must admit over the years I always used washing up liquid, and never had any issues. I also use washing up liquid when I do a rinse in the dishwasher, even though it suggests not to, although I figure the washing up liquid would prevent grease blockage on a cold wash.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote