Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to: Replace Sunroof Seal

Views : 6274

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2014, 16:04   #1
I-S
Premier Member

Default How to: Replace Sunroof Seal

Volvo seem to use a single sunroof for many models - C30, S40 II, V50, S60 II, V70 III, XC70 III and S80 II. Here's how to replace the seal.

Requires:
1 sunroof seal (p/n 31218248)
20 minutes
High-tech seal seating tool (see below)

Our car has had a bit of flutter/whistle from the sunroof seal for a while now. The cause seems to be fairly common, based on a little reading around the net:

The seal is split at the back edge, and the gap is big enough for air and rain to leak through - the rain is all dealt with by the internal drip tray/drain, but the noise was annoying with its tendency to come and go.

So, after an attempt to fix it up which illustrated to me how easy it actually would be just to replace, I ordered the new seal, part no 31218248. It's not cheap in the £90-100 region!

It's worth noting that the split is designed into this seal, as you can see from this shot of the new seal:

The split is into the outer foam rubber part, with the solid rubber anchor section joined. On ours, the anchor section had split, so the gap grew.

I treated the new seal with a coat of gummi pflege before fitting.

There's no adhesives, no nothing. Just pull the old seal out. Be aware that the seal itself may be full of water, which will pour out of the ends once they're pointed downwards. Usually into your interior.

Work your way around. It will be tight at the front edge, and you'll want to swap from tilt to slide back to get at the front edge better.

Once you have the old seal out, go around and clean the channel on the sunroof that the seal sits in, and also go around the metal of the roof that the seal sits against.

Refitting is the reverse of removal. Just push the new seal in and work your way around. I started at the back edge with the split/join section, but given how the slack ends up, you could just as well start from the front.

Again, you'll need to swap a few times between tilt/slide, and be careful about trapping unseated seal as you go.

The front corners, however, are impossible to get at with your fingers, and you'll end up with this:

At this point you will need an ultra-high-tech seal seating device:

Amazing how having the right tool for the job solves such problems:

Worth noting that on ours, the offside (driver's side in UK, passenger side in US/Europe) was a little tighter and trickier, but it did go in.

End result, the split section is tight:

I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2014, 14:12   #2
I-S
Premier Member

Just an update on this - since replacing the seal the roof has not made any of the noises that were occurring before.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 13:36   #3
Tomee

Default Seal length

Hi I-S,

Thanks for the detailed fitting instruction. I know it is an old thread but can you please advise if I should cut the seal?

I have ordered the sunroof seal for my 2010 S40 (p/n 31218248) and tried to fit it however the new seal is about 50mm longer than the old one. I called Volvo to ask if I should cut it but they said it should fit as it is.

Thanks,
Tom
Tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 16:42   #4
Bosleybuilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Volvo seem to use a single sunroof for many models - C30, S40 II, V50, S60 II, V70 III, XC70 III and S80 II. Here's how to replace the seal.

Requires:
1 sunroof seal (p/n 31218248)
20 minutes
High-tech seal seating tool (see below)

Our car has had a bit of flutter/whistle from the sunroof seal for a while now. The cause seems to be fairly common, based on a little reading around the net:

The seal is split at the back edge, and the gap is big enough for air and rain to leak through - the rain is all dealt with by the internal drip tray/drain, but the noise was annoying with its tendency to come and go.

So, after an attempt to fix it up which illustrated to me how easy it actually would be just to replace, I ordered the new seal, part no 31218248. It's not cheap in the £90-100 region!

It's worth noting that the split is designed into this seal, as you can see from this shot of the new seal:

The split is into the outer foam rubber part, with the solid rubber anchor section joined. On ours, the anchor section had split, so the gap grew.

I treated the new seal with a coat of gummi pflege before fitting.

There's no adhesives, no nothing. Just pull the old seal out. Be aware that the seal itself may be full of water, which will pour out of the ends once they're pointed downwards. Usually into your interior.

Work your way around. It will be tight at the front edge, and you'll want to swap from tilt to slide back to get at the front edge better.

Once you have the old seal out, go around and clean the channel on the sunroof that the seal sits in, and also go around the metal of the roof that the seal sits against.

Refitting is the reverse of removal. Just push the new seal in and work your way around. I started at the back edge with the split/join section, but given how the slack ends up, you could just as well start from the front.

Again, you'll need to swap a few times between tilt/slide, and be careful about trapping unseated seal as you go.

The front corners, however, are impossible to get at with your fingers, and you'll end up with this:

At this point you will need an ultra-high-tech seal seating device:

Amazing how having the right tool for the job solves such problems:

Worth noting that on ours, the offside (driver's side in UK, passenger side in US/Europe) was a little tighter and trickier, but it did go in.

End result, the split section is tight:

Hello, If you are still an active member on this site, i was wonder if you could describe or post a picture of your "tool" for installing the new seal. Cheers.

-Bosley
Bosleybuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 17:32   #5
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosleybuilt View Post
Hello, If you are still an active member on this site, i was wonder if you could describe or post a picture of your "tool" for installing the new seal. Cheers.

-Bosley
The "tool" is a pen top as per his picture towards the end. A biro pen top, BIC etc.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 23:35   #6
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
The "tool" is a pen top as per his picture towards the end. A biro pen top, BIC etc.
I see no images at all, evidently neither can Bosleybuilt, how come you can?Petey80?
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 08:42   #7
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
I see no images at all, evidently neither can Bosleybuilt, how come you can?Petey80?
How very strange. They were there yesterday when I replied to your message.

In any case, I saved the thread offline including all the pictures. If you want to PM me your e-mail address I can send you the PDF file.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 15:22   #8
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Bosleybuilt may or may not be able to see the images but he has copied every last one! Seriously this does clutter the thread a little and isn't really necessary. It's a very good How To and the "pen tool" with its semi circular cross section probe looks to be made for the job!
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 15:28   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Bosleybuilt may or may not be able to see the images but he has copied every last one! Seriously this does clutter the thread a little and isn't really necessary. It's a very good How To and the "pen tool" with its semi circular cross section probe looks to be made for the job!
Uh?

I was bring attention to the lack of images so it might be rectified, I don't know where you get the idea of "clutter" from? No worse than your pointless reply, but hey ho, life goes on....
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 16:32   #10
Tatsfield
Premier Member

And I was bringing attention to the fact that Bosleybuilt had "quoted" all the images and cluttered the thread with a lot of pictures which already appeared in a previous posting. Whether you could see them or not, I could see all of them and thought it would be apposite to remind posters that there is a convention that you should not "quote" all the pictures in a posting as it jams the website with unwanted images. No intention to offend either him or you but I felt my point was one of internet etiquette which might not have occurred to him.