Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Indicators jumping out

Views : 3887

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 16:34   #11
Splinelube

The cowl also has some kind of weird bracket incorporated into its moulding, you can see it to the above/right of the wheel in this shot, what's that for?

I would hazard a guess that your Missus is contemplating a move somewhere in the Southern Pacific. I would be cautious- any indication she would like to increase your life insurance.? _
Splinelube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 17:12   #12
Derek UK
VOC Member

A PO of your car may have had a rev counter mounted on that bracket. Remove it when it all comes apart to fix or replace the switch.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 23:42   #13
SvenSomerset

Thanks for the suggestions but I was kind of hoping for a bit more info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinelube View Post
I would hazard a guess that your Missus is contemplating a move somewhere in the Southern Pacific. I would be cautious- any indication she would like to increase your life insurance.? _
Mate, I've no idea what that's all about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
A PO of your car may have had a rev counter mounted on that bracket. Remove it when it all comes apart to fix or replace the switch.
Ah, that would explain it, thanks.

Well, I looked up the illustration of how the indicator stalk is mounted to the dash, so before we take the step of asking a mech to do it I'll see if I can access the bracket nuts (if there are any) from the backside of the dash. Depending on how much 'play' the cowl has between the dash and the wheel, I may be able to push washers with notches cut out of them onto the loosened bolts, between the steering wheel cowl and the dash, to 'pack it out', which may solve the issue. Well, it's an idea, anyway...
SvenSomerset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 09:36   #14
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Forum;

In general, the Directional Indicator Switch is a little mechanical marvel...and a bit more complicated than a typical switch, as it includes that cute spring activated cancellation mechanism...as such, it must also be lubricated to minimize wear and allow the mechanism to function well long-term. A dielectric Grease works well here.

The Return Mechanism of Switch explained: As the Dir Ind Sw is activated either up or down (R or L indication), tiny (Return) Levers (one for right, a different one for left) extend from the Switch, in the direction of a Collar/Sleeve on the Steering Column. The Return Levers are a sensitive trigger mechanism, which when touched, causes the Ind Lever to spring back to the neutral position. The Collar on the St Column is not complete, but interrupted, so that as the edge of the collar interruption touches the extended Return Lever as St Wheel is turned, it triggers "Cancellation" of the Indicator.

I've see several causes for "Non-Cancellation", but it can be caused any factor which interferes with this somewhat precision action...but first, as a precision mechanism, it should be clean (of fuzzies which can occur in the passenger compartment...especially if Fido rides along often!) and lubricated! I've also seen a worn collar causing poor/intermittent contact with Return Lever...I've also seen that collar be turned on the St Column causing return only when turning St Wheel in one direction... Sometimes the precision mechanism just gets worn from non-lubrication, and switch must be replaced.

Close inspection and Troubleshooting requires removal of St Wheel, and Plastic Cowl. Then Dir Ind Sw may be removed and Trigger Levers and their action may be checked, and if found to be working OK, carefully lubed. Edges of Collar on St Column which touch Return Levers can also be checked (and lubed!) at that time.

Sorry...I don't have any pictures, with which to clarify at this time.

Good Hunting
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 11:01   #15
SvenSomerset

Thanks Ron, so I guess that we're going to have to get a mech to take the steering wheel off, then... :-(
SvenSomerset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 13:46   #16
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

SS;

Before doing that, I'd have a try at removing the St Wheel myself...often, they do not require a puller...simply bend away securing tab, partially loosen Nut, and have a smart pull on the wheel...a few taps on the Shaft will often help it release...mark position before removal to ease replacement at the right angle!

Good Hunting!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2016, 15:05   #17
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Forum;

I have compiled some info on the subject and added a Tech Article to the Sw-Em site.

See: http://www.sw-em.com/Directional_Ind..._Mechanism.htm

Cheers
Old Oct 17th, 2016, 20:49   #18
srs4164

Ron,

I have a '72 164E. Regarding removing the steering wheel without a puller, do you know if that's also possible on my car? Currently, when driving straight, the steering wheel is oriented as if I'm turning slightly left. I'd love to be a able to remove it and put it back on properly aligned, but haven't ever pulled a steering wheel.

Thanks,

Stan
srs4164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2016, 22:52   #19
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Stan;

If St Wh was off and put back on a spline or two off, simply removing it and replacing in the right direction would be an option, but if a front end alignment issue is causing this, it would be better to assure the alignment is good first, then see where St Wh points.

I don't recall specifics of 140/160 St Wh removal, but it's similar to 122 wheel...check also exploded assembly diagrams at GCP site...there is a nut holding St Wh on...remove safety lock on Nut and loosen a few turn, and see if it will pull off using the technique at link.

Good Hunting!
Old Oct 18th, 2016, 22:17   #20
TomTom
Master Member

I thought I'd been typing in my sleep.....until i realised my original message was three years old.

So just to confirm that I did buy a new switch, and all my troubles went away. It was a "life's too short" moment and the switch is now dusty enough to blend in nicely.

Tomtom
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote