Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Not Matching Brake Shoes

Views : 1194

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2017, 00:13   #1
gothamus

Default Not Matching Brake Shoes

I am not sure if my new rear brake drum pads are mis-packed or this is by design. A few months ago I bought 'performance' brake shoes for my Amazon. After much cleaning, renewing, replacing I am re-assembling my rear brakes. While checking my assembly I found I had three shoes with the pad on the bottom end and one with the pad toward the top end of the shoe. I don't see an indication this is design.

I would wait longer for Brookhouse to write back. But I have this car on the street with the wheels off. I must have the wheels back on by the end of the weekend. Brooklyn Parking Rules are in effect.

If it is wrong, can I use them for moving the car around the neighborhood while the product is corrected?

I am including a picture of the pads on plate partially assembled. (This assembly is for checking the parts. I will be starting assembly from scratch before installation.) The pair in the right plate is what I expect, the left is my problem.

*RoadHouse HS Type Brake Shoes partial part #4409 something
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1579.jpg (248.5 KB, 38 views)
gothamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 03:18   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

gothamus;

It has to do with Leading/Trailing Shoe positions (there is a difference and a preferred placement)...I believe the assembly shown on the right side in the picture is correct...that is the Right side when back on the vehicle, and the leading shoe is supposed to begin low (Trailing shoe high), IIRC (others can confirm). The left side has two "Leading Shoes", so I think they sent you three leading shoes, and one trailing.
It's not the end of the world to install the two assemblies on the vehicle the way they are to keep the local authorities happy.

Cheers

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_brake

Last edited by Ron Kwas; May 5th, 2017 at 03:55. Reason: Added Link
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2017, 06:39   #3
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Hello Gothamus, yes as Ron wrote: The right one on your pic is the right one ;-)

Drive it, you will have a difference in brake force left to right. Still useable, chane later when the matching parts arrive. Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2017, 16:13   #4
gothamus

Default Thanks and...

I thought I responded with a thanks to both of your responses. Forgot to hit submit. Belated Thanks!

I am unsure about 2 other points of the rear assembly. On the diagram that is most similar to my rear brake assembly I see a clip Clip.png, which I purchased and possess. I do not understand what it locks to. I think it is meant to lock the lever in place. But there is nothing about the knob that inserts into a hole on the shoe that could be locked. It is a smooth shaft. #8 in the diagram is where the lever hangs onto the shoe, mine is not a separate piece. It is an integrated protrusion and not a removable part.

I may not need it since my link bar is longer on one end of the inside. I believe it assists in keeping things in place.

Second query: About hydraulic lines. I bought the pre-cut and flared lines for the Amazon. The new rear axle hydraulic lines are about a foot or more longer than necessary. I will have to give my lines loops or other detours to use up that spare length. The right line loops around the shaft. I think the last person to replace the lines found the same challenge. Is there a better suggestion? Looking sloppy to my eyes.

Thanks for taking the time to reply before and now. The assistance here is terrific and saves lives!
Old May 10th, 2017, 17:14   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

gothamus;

That clip looks like an unnecessary part for your brakes...you already know about the springclip between upper Spring and Crossconnecting Bar...I see it installed on right side of picture.

If preflared brakelines are too long, you have several choices...
1. Return them to supplier, and ask for replacement of the correct length (if you have the luxury of time...)
2. Loose the excess length in the form of "S" Bends along the way (perfectly functional, but not so neat and suitable for showing off with...but will do if the extra can be secured out of the way so that it can't catch debris or is vulnerable to damage, including vibration - secure "S" bends, if you decide to go that route!)
3. Cut to proper length and reflare (...requires a flaring tool obviously, confidence to make a flare yourself, which is a critical part of your braking sys, and rather defeats the point of buying them, supposedly sized correctly, ready to install!)

Caution: Triple-check flare fittings to assure correct matching with component they are assembled into! Know the difference between Double and Bubble flares! See also Unacceptable Brake Lines at link: http://www.sw-em.com/brake_notes.htm

I found and augmented a nice little graphic about the Leading and Trailing Shoe which might be of interest, and included it into my Brake System Notes.

Anti-Seize fitting threads AND fitting to line interface!

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 19:53   #6
gothamus

Thumbs up Got It

Thanks Ron- that expands on my suspicions. I am glad for the verification about that clip. It was niggling at my cautious thoughts.

I went for the pre-flared because I have more confidence in experienced people than my amateur experiments. I have mastered a bit of bending method using a some larger sockets that is giving me some clean curves at varied sizes. So I will do some art and make sure it is secure along it's path.

Your articles are required reading preceding any of my projects. Thanks for the help they all provide our inexperience.