Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5/R Engine rebuild advice

Views : 590

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2023, 21:06   #1
Jimmer

Default T5/R Engine rebuild advice

Hi all, i have recently acquired a T5/R UK Manual. The engine is currently in bits and about to be rebuilt. So far it’s new rings, bottom end bearings, skimmed head, valves re ground, new gasket set, new turbo - standard stuff really.

I’m reading about the weakness in the engine with rods and that they bend with some extra boost. Now whilst I’m not planning on any mods is it worth at this stage to up rate them and engineer in some extra strength or am i over thinking it?

Added to that are there any upgrades i should be thinking about whilst the engine is in bits? I’m tempted to have the rotating assembly balanced as that just seems like a good idea. The PCV system has been done as I know thats a common issue. I’m just trying to do it right whilst its in bits.

Also, can anyone recommend a go to place for decent parts?

Any thoughts and advice welcome. Thanks, James.
Old Nov 6th, 2023, 21:34   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The rods would be a good idea if you think you might go for some upgrades later on. I would get the block shimmed or even do a closed deck conversion

The 850 t5 and 850R clutch are both now no longer available, if your clutch is worn you will either have to go with a rebuilt clutch or a flywheel conversion that uses available clutch covers
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2023, 15:51   #3
Jimmer

Thanks for the reply.

I’m not looking for any power upgrades at the moment rather just improve on the standard setup if possible whilst its in bits. That said, who doesn’t want a bit more power!?…

Shimming looks like a good idea - any recommendations on where to get them or brands to go for/avoid. Or just a google?

I have heard that clutches are hard to find. Luckily i have a new OE Volvo clutch cover and plate with the car. The rear main has gone so the current clutch is pretending to be a wet clutch…
Old Nov 7th, 2023, 23:12   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Deeworks in Canada do some nice ones but as long as they fit does not matter where they came from.

The gaps can be partly blocked so clean them out before fitting. I use some old feeler gauges to clean them out with.

If the old clutch cover and friction plate is available I would be interested in them as core units
Old Nov 8th, 2023, 16:30   #5
Jimmer

Thanks for that - I’ll get some ordered.

The old clutch cover and plate are about - I’ll dig them out and let you know what they are. Sachs i think.

Back to the roads - is there any machining required of the block in order for them to fit? Or nice and easy?

Thanks for the help. Whilst I'm familiar with other engines i’m new to Volvo.
Old Nov 8th, 2023, 21:43   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The h beam rods are a direct swap for the originals