Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

injectors for D5 needing work after 50k miles

Views : 9961

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 20:39   #1
languageservicesco

Default injectors for D5 needing work after 50k miles

Hi all,

Just had an oil leak fixed on the rocker cover and while it was off they checked the injectors. The result was that one was barely working while the others were also not as good as they should be. As getting at the injectors requires removing the rocker cover, I had it done. My question, is it reasonable to expect to have this work done at 50000 miles? Don't know exactly what they did, but it involved replacing something on each injector costing about 40 quid each.

Cheers,
Kevin
languageservicesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 22:24   #2
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by languageservicesco View Post
Hi all,

Just had an oil leak fixed on the rocker cover and while it was off they checked the injectors. The result was that one was barely working while the others were also not as good as they should be. As getting at the injectors requires removing the rocker cover, I had it done. My question, is it reasonable to expect to have this work done at 50000 miles? Don't know exactly what they did, but it involved replacing something on each injector costing about 40 quid each.

Cheers,
Kevin
Hmm, do we know what they actually replaced?

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 08:21   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

you cant change parts on an injector they are complete units the only check a garage can do is a leakage check and if an injector fails that it will need a new injector .
If they removed the top cover then they will need new injector pipes perhaps this was the part?
And you dont need to take the cover off to get the injectors out ,,,,
No it is not reasonable to have this done at 50000 miles what ever they did , it sounds fishy ....
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 17:27   #4
GSMGuy
Master Member

As Clan said, and I forgot to post, the injectors come out without removing the cam cover - Not sure if there are seals in the leak off pipes that have to be replaced if disturbed?

Mike
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 17:46   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

there are leak off unions and pipes , they seal to the injector with little rubber O rings , makbe they broke some of the plastic unions ...
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 21:25   #6
languageservicesco

Default work on injectors

The local dealer, Kings Volvo, had previously commented on the engine running rough and it probably being an injector. I hadn't mentioned this to South Hants Volvo, so it is quite a coincidence if they decided to invent that fault. All I know is that they said one injector was barely working and the others were not working as well as they should. The invoice says "injector overhaul" at 38.50 per injector. Any ideas? I will be perfectly willing to phone them up and get a detailed explanation.

Kevin
languageservicesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 01:40   #7
GSMGuy
Master Member

I'd definately want more info, as "if" the injectors can be reconned, that will help other members, at the very leadt - and you'll also have a bit more info as to what work has been carried out on your car...

Mike
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:56   #8
musicman

Default oil leak and 5 replacement in my Xc90 too

Last september I had an oil leak in my XC90 D5 MY07, combined with an oil level above the MAX mark (1-2cm). They made some kind of re-sealing to the engine to fix the oil leak. However, they didn't give me any explanation about the oil excess.

Since then, I have had to take it into the dealer 7 times because the oil level being above the MAX, which turned up to be an oil-diesel dilution problem. They changed 5 times the oil engine. Every time they did it, the problem (oil above MAX) reproduced in a
brief period (2-3 weeks).

They have tryed several things: a forced particle regeneration, replacement of 5 inyectors (with only 45,000 Km), and some kind of reprogramming of the engine (this was done by a volvo engineer via Internet from Sweden (I live in Madrid), with a laptop conected to my car).

As the car is in guarantee, I haven't payed a single pennie. However, I am still waiting for a satisfactory solution after 5 months...

Can you tell me if your VIN code is close to mine 3665XX? Maybe it is a manufacturing deffect affecting several cars.

Excuse my English.

Last edited by musicman; Feb 15th, 2009 at 07:42.
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 08:36   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

one place fuel can get into the oil is from a faulty fuel pump have they changed that? Have they analysed the oil to see if it is diesel contamination?
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 16:17   #10
musicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
one place fuel can get into the oil is from a faulty fuel pump have they changed that? Have they analysed the oil to see if it is diesel contamination?
That was the opinnion of the dealer technician, but the volvo's enginner that connected the computer to my car did not pay attention to that. They just reprogrammed the engine remotely and told me to check the oil level for the next 1,000 Km.

Volvo asked the dealer to send them the oil for analysis.

Last edited by musicman; Feb 15th, 2009 at 16:44.
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote